• No, don't need

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted By: 1
Possibly because he/she prefers manual.
I would too. It's just the better way to drive.

Manual is driving, auto is just steering.

The advantage of MY rush hour is that it takes about 15 minutes to drive the 20km to get from home to work.

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted By: thursday
so that's 80km/h average. What do you drive and what is the gas mileage? Please share.

Either a Jimny or a Navara d/cab diesel ute, depending on whether I have something big to bring home, or whether the "boss" (= +1) has to use the other vehicle (we usually share a car since both work in the same office).

Fuel consumption isn't something I've calculated recently. It's one of those things that you do for a while when the car's new and then the novelty wears off and you get slack. I'm at that point, well and truly!

I'm surprised at "only" 80 average - from gate to highway, I often manage 120 or so. (Shhhh, don't tell on me, please!) The highway to town is all 60 and 50, with a bit of 70, so I have to make up time somehow!
  • 1 year later...

My new automatic

item.JPG

item.JPG

Went for this car 'cos we wanted to go back to an SUV and wanted to see how good hybrid technology had become. This is an RX450h, 3500cc Atkinson cycle petrol running on >RON95 with 2 electric motors, one front, one back.

Keyless go means no key to turn, transeiver is pciked up from inside your pocket and the doors unlock as you reach for the handle. Starting by pressing the "start" button, into gear and go. It runs on electric until above 40kph or you accelerate modestly.

Moving away from standstill on just electricity is slow....... enevitably, any sort of normal acceleration is only acchieved with the engine cutting in, which is hardly noticeable.

With legislation soon to come in to require parked vehicles to turn off idling engines, I'd be able to run the airconditioner for 45 minutes on just electric. Useful when waiting.

After 1000km and 2 fillups, I managed to get 12km/l. My previous car, a 3.5 Previa (Estima) got me 9km/l. So, spending twice as much as the previous car, I managed a 33% increase in fuel efficiency while losing 2 passenger seats.

So, you guys are OK with a dumb machine telling you what gear to use? Me, I'd rather the machinery did what it was told, rather than telling me what it will do.

Yep, control freak!

experience it, then comprehend.

A manual gearbox is the thing of the past.

DSG used to change gears at 0.1 seconds. No left foot can do that. The DSG now does changes in 0.07 seconds.

Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
I drive in Hong Kong, unfortunatly most cars sold here are automatic. Manual cars are only in the sports section. My Hyundai was manual, but my news Smart ForFour is automatic (was the only choice). Feels like far less power (for a small 109PS car).

I would like to testdrive a new VW with the double-clutch automatic though. It's an automatic with 7 gears and you don't notice any gearshift anymore. They call it DSG:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

Manual cars are only in the sports section. Get it right. Manual cars are only in the poor section.