• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

auto 4dws can be good in soft sand and boggy sections, because you don't get any jolting/loss of momentum when changing gears.

i'm sure there;'s more technical term what i just described, but you get my drift

some of my mates are hardcore into 4wds, and i've seen them drive up the most insane sh1t. they all drive manuals, but when i consulted them about the merits of manual vs automatic for our new car, they all happily recommended autos. plus you won't burn a clutch out

thurs - let's see some pics of you in your flash new wheels. better yet, stay out of the picture and let's see some pics of your flash new wheels with some eye candy on the bonnet

Originally Posted By: Journey Man
I went on a 4wd course a while back and my Troopie was too big for the course so I used one of the school 4wds - it was an auto and the guy who ran the place swore by them. I did everything just as he said and everything worked just fine. I dunno tho, braking down a super steep slope just seemed wrong, but apparently overall the autos are "better". Give me 2nd Lo anytime!

If I drop the transfer into 4x low and put the transmission in "1", I can usually crawl down stuff without having to use the brakes, even considering how heavy it is. From what I was hearing from the dealer, the manual wouldn't sell for the Land Cruiser in the US because of the projected buyer demographic (luxury SUV). From what I hear from a lot of my mates in the 4x4 community, the automatic is more trouble-free and less prone to catastrophic failure. Nowadays, unless you are specifically building a rock-crawling rig (in which case you'd probably have multiple underdrive units or a special transfer case) automatic is the preferred option to manual in an off-road truck.

...But I still prefer manual! grin.gif
 Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
 Originally Posted By: Ewok 2
my driver's license is limited, only automatic \:D

Huh... I've never encountered a "limited" license in the States. Is that a Japan thing?

in oz you get an auto only license if you can't be arsed learning to drive a manual car. i would have thought you could get this in the States too?

At least in Hawaii there are no restrictions - the (regular automobile*) license is the license. They let you take the driving test with whichever automatic or manual you happen to have, then send you out onto the roads to wreak whatever havoc you are capable of.

*there are of course special licenses for vehicles of over 15-person capacity, commercial trucks, motorcycles, and whatnot.

Good work spotting Toyota Spook

Previa 3.5. Estima in Japanese.

Now fully morphed into a family man with concerns for safety for passengers, 11 airbags, VCS, ABS, TCS, Cruise missle control, radar jamming, satellite navless, and 2 remote controlled sliding doors.

Please the wife first, then she'll allow me to get a middle aged man's crisis machine a few months down the line.

I think its the same in the UK, if you pass your test in an Auto, you can only drive auto cars but if yu do it in a manual you are free to drive any. Or you don't sit any like me and get everyone else to ferry you around!! \:D

Originally Posted By: thursday.
Good work spotting Toyota Spook

Previa 3.5. Estima in Japanese.

Now fully morphed into a family man with concerns for safety for passengers, 11 airbags, VCS, ABS, TCS, Cruise missle control, radar jamming, satellite navless, and 2 remote controlled sliding doors.

Please the wife first, then she'll allow me to get a middle aged man's crisis machine a few months down the line.

they're called tarago in oz i think
i thought you only had one baby, not a whole soccer team!

can you get someone to tweak the player (or replace it) to make it region free?

a mate who installs AV systems in cars has managed to install one on his dashboard that lets him watch movies even while he drives.

yes, i realise this is ridiculously dangerous behaviour - but my point is maybe you can get your dvd player modified

It's a region 3. I can replace it quite easily but that would void my 2 year electrics warranty. Bastards!!!

That's also why I'm not installing powered curtains, reversing cameras, LED scuff plates.... etc. There are zillians of custom parts for this car. Trying to resist a pimp up.