dunno if there was another 0, but it was on the news. According to my gfriend who filled in the blanks for me (as my J-go is kinda limited) it was a Japanese family.

It wasn't a 5* place it was a family run Ryokan, why they didn't take money before from them is anyones guess. So even if it was 106k, I'm guessing it was a lot of moey for them

I think there are a number of reasons this family, be they Japanese, Chinese, Burmese, Korean, Thai, Japanese, English, Irish, Scottish, did a runner.

It could've been the food, the not so hot water or whatever. You need to take a viewpoint other than the mass media.

For goodness sake, they could've been NORTH KOREANS trying to escape the tyranny of the midget perm kingdom.

Anyone thought that they may have paid for some of the total bill in advance - that amount may have been just the amount left owing...

I know our hotel in Tokyo had a written policy of asking for payment every 2 days, or at a certain $ amount - we had pre-paid vouchers for the rooms, but we clocked up well over the limit listed,a nd they never asked for it until check out - but having that policy suggests that they have had problems in the past.

Not sure why...but most ski holidays we have had needed up front payment of the accomodation. Other vacations no so much...