Roo tail stew.. if you can get to the road kill before the native aussies, you are in for a feast!

Whaling ships set off.. No News here as usual.

We will only hear about when an incident occurs when they will make the environmentalists look like the bad guys..

Where are the terrorists when you need them?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mantas
I agree BP. We certainly cant take the moral high ground because the Japanese are killing their own dolphins. If they are not endangered and the meat is being eaten, then that's their business (even if I don't like it)
I was more concerned with their blatant disrespect for international law when it comes to their fishing industry. Last year they went over their quota by nearly 30% !! Basically they have stolen food off the table of the rest of the world. Decimating fish stocks for generations to come. Where's the media attention? Where's the 'shame'?
As for a comparison of the roo cull and the dolphin cull. Your right, it's not a fair comparison in the sense that one is a pest, the other is not. But I got your point and I do understand the their is a cultural difference. There is a difference though in that ALL Australians are aware of the roo cull. The same cant be said for the dolphin and whale culls in Japan.

Did you describe how the roos are finished off, to save bullets?

I wouldn't care if Japan killed whales and dolphins that were farmed or managed scientifically in the same way fish/roo stocks (and their environments) are in Oz, but there is no science involved in the Japanese 'cull'.

When they use the 'cultural'/'tradition' thing it shites me good - I can envisage a boat of Kimono wrapped Japs in the 1600's sailing/rowing to the Southern Pacific to harpoon a whale ... and NOT bumping into Australia on the way.

The fact is they whale because it's profitable, they plunder fish resources because it's profitable, etc.

Ignorance of world events seems to be the problem - from the many comments reflected on this website, it appears the greater proportion of Japanese are a fairly ignorant lot?

No flame intended - observation only.

look at the damn media they have to rely on for information.

But then again, you would think ther have been enough japanese people that have lived overseas and seen what a healthy debate on issues looks like, as well as a news program whose content is not 50% talking about food.

Originally Posted By: SubZero

I wouldn't care if Japan killed whales and dolphins that were farmed or managed scientifically in the same way fish/roo stocks (and their environments) are in Oz, but there is no science involved in the Japanese 'cull'.

When they use the 'cultural'/'tradition' thing it shites me good - I can envisage a boat of Kimono wrapped Japs in the 1600's sailing/rowing to the Southern Pacific to harpoon a whale ... and NOT bumping into Australia on the way.

The fact is they whale because it's profitable, they plunder fish resources because it's profitable, etc.

Ignorance of world events seems to be the problem - from the many comments reflected on this website, it appears the greater proportion of Japanese are a fairly ignorant lot?

No flame intended - observation only.

You completely missed my point subzero. I wasn't referring to the culture excuse for taking whales, I was referring to the fact that cultural values differ greatly, which means our logic that dolphins and whales are cute/beautiful/intelligent and therefore should not be treated like that does not apply here. Japan, and other countries come from strikingly different cultural starting points. These creatures are animals, for us to take in the same way as cows, kangaroos, chickens, whatever. That's the point I was making. I agree that the tradition/culture thing is bollocks, but that is another issue. This was referring to the fact that playing up to notions of cruelty to intelligent beings is not effective here. Also, whaling isn't profitable here, so your argument doesn't quite hold out on that point. The industry is highly government subsidized, and would die a natural death if left alone. The problem is that the Japanese have been bludgeoned into a corner over the whole issue, and just like any other country, they hate being told what to do.

If it isn't profitable, what exactly is the main issue here with them going against most of the world and it's dog to continue? The livelihoods of a few whalers? Pride? It's all rather difficult to get a handle on.

coverage on the Telegraph about the whaling fleet which left port on Sunday

Japan is facing a growing international storm over its plans to kill up to 1,000 whales in the Antarctic.

Several countries have voiced their anger over the whaling expedition which left port on Sunday.

Britain is considering a formal diplomatic protest and will seek support from other countries who signed up to the moratorium on hunting whales.

full story

thursday, so what's new?? There is an international uproar everytime this happens...

Spook, it's not really logical, but the people in power seem to believe that it is their right and that the JApanese have always had this tradition (mistaken as that might be).

Some coworkers took me out last nite to celebrate my bday at a local Izakaya we often go to. The owner knows us well and often gives us free food/beer too. As a present he gave me a bottle of wine and also brought out some whale (not thinking Ive ever tried it). Got into a huge discussion on it at that point and he said he never knew other countries were so against Japan hunting whales/dolphins...not surprising really. I had one bite so he wouldnt feel hurt/lose face on bringing that dish as a present. We happily drunk the wine though! \:\)

It's on mad.gif

This was in the paper today.

Radical anti-whaling group the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has pledged to stop the whalers physically - resorting to violence if necessary.

"Basically we're going down there to stop them," Sea Shepherd director Jonny Vasic said yesterday.

"We're not going down there to protest; we're going down to directly intervene and put an end to this criminal behaviour.

"We've been known to ram a vessel that's engaged in illegal activity as a last-ditch effort to get them to stop.

"We have a reputation of direct action and we mean business."

0,,5760423,00.jpg

Clash ... Sea Shepherd's ship collides with whaling ship Kaiko Maru last year

While intentions may be good i personally don't agree with the way Sea Shepherd work. Sometimes they do more harm than good, making us have to take steps back after lots of hard work has been done. From personal experiance when they broke in and released a load of dolphins, cutting the nets and thus causing criminal damage, the police then started to come down a lot harder and was exatly the excuse needed to put up "protective" and sight limiting barriers all over the place. Due to their illegal acts what we can now do is more limited than before, making it even harder to get results. Yes they freed a pod of dolphins but they didn't help stop the actual reason why the dolphins were there in the first place.

I would not be sad to see a Japanese whaling ship have to return to port and end its catch, but wouldn't want to see it at the risk of lives or the potential for gallons of fuel spilt into the sea from a wrecked ship. I agree that we are on the edge of destruction now on many fronts that there is a need for serious action, but we should think of a long term picture not just stopping "one" ship this year.