• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Bushpig

Mantas, that's the whole point. The head-on approach is not/does not work here. If attacking it another way is going get the same result then why not? The shame thing does apply, but in the sense of "Shame on you for the bad publicity" So that way should work. There have been so many scandals here where the only shame came from being caught and bringing bad publicity to the company, not so much from breaking the rules or doing something wrong in the first place. And no matter how much the rest of the world fusses about it all, the Japanese media just hasn't tended to touch it. So the average person is not aware of it. This is the crux of the problem.

So the problem is with the media then, for not pointing out the shame they should feel ?

I find it staggering that the average Japanese person doesn't know about these massive breeches of international law here. Let alone the Dolphin and whale culls.
If one person intentionally killed one dolphin in Australia, it would be major news, the guy and his family would be vilified and hunted to the end of the earth by the media.

yeah, but you are judging by different standards mate. To us dolphins are cute and worthy of protection. To many people here, they are cute, but also an animal just like cows that can be used for meat. It is pointless trying to compare the countries different reactions because the cultural norms are quite different. Japanese are horrified when we tell them that we cull roos by the thousands to control farming areas, and even more horrified to learn that much of the meat is used as dog food. To them roos are cute animals that they want to cuddle. It is the dolphin thing in reverse. Now before you go and say that I can't compare the dolphin slaughter to the roo cull, let me be cleaer that I'm not comparing them or judging either as right or wrong (I think the dolphin thing is wrong), but that cultural views towards certain things differ drastically, and we can't apply the same assumptions and expectations to how they "should" react. The whole problem needs to be tackled differently, which is what Farquah and co are doing.

I agree BP. We certainly cant take the moral high ground because the Japanese are killing their own dolphins. If they are not endangered and the meat is being eaten, then that's their business (even if I don't like it)

I was more concerned with their blatant disrespect for international law when it comes to their fishing industry. Last year they went over their quota by nearly 30% !! Basically they have stolen food off the table of the rest of the world. Decimating fish stocks for generations to come. Where's the media attention? Where's the 'shame'?

As for a comparison of the roo cull and the dolphin cull. Your right, it's not a fair comparison in the sense that one is a pest, the other is not. But I got your point and I do understand the their is a cultural difference. There is a difference though in that ALL Australians are aware of the roo cull. The same cant be said for the dolphin and whale culls in Japan.

Did you describe how the roos are finished off, to save bullets?

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
yep, that was my point exactly.

How they are finished off? Do tell?

I wont go into detail. Only to use the words 'log and 'head'.

One of the actresses from Home and Away has been in the papers and on TV. She was part of that protest group. In the footage I saw of her ,she was crying. She was crying in the photo of the paper too. I'm sure she was genuinely upset but it Just reinforces their view that we are all silly sentimental gaijin.

Why don't we equip the whales and dolphins with some lasers, they can then get a bit of pay back to the fishermen!!!

I ate roo meat quite a lot when I was in Oz, I have to say that I liked it. Although I was a bit disconcerted that it was always stored next to the regular dog food. Shogunai!! \:D

Roo meat is nice, it needs to be cooked medium rare or it gets tough, its very low in fat, around 25% of beef so it is very good for you.

The reason the roo meat that is used for dog food is not eaten by humans is its to old and tough. The culling is normally the packs of males that form, they tend not to kill the females to preserve the breeding stock. There are more roo's in Australia than people and due to our farming and the additional water reserves we have created there are more roo's today than when white man arrived over 200 years ago.

There is however a bif difference between a roo and a dolphin, a roo is no different to a sheep or cow but dolphins are veru intellegent and they are more like us in man ways then other animals. there are some animals that just should not be touched.

BBC today. So is this news in Japan?

A Japanese whaling fleet has set sail aiming to harpoon humpback whales for the first time in decades.

The fleet is conducting its largest hunt in the South Pacific - it has instructions to kill up to 1,000 whales, including 50 humpbacks.

The humpback hunt is the first since a mid-1960s global ban and has drawn strong protests from environmentalists.

Commercial whaling was stopped in 1986 but Japan is permitted whaling in the name of scientific research.

Four whaling ships, including the lead craft Nisshin Maru, set off from the southern port of Shimonoseki on Sunday.

The 239-man mission plans to kill more than 900 minke whales as well as fin whales and humpbacks, in a South Pacific whale hunt that will run until mid-April.

The 8,000-metric ton Nisshin Maru was crippled by a fire on a whaling mission in the Antarctic in March. One crew member was killed.

A Greenpeace campaign ship will be following the Japanese fleet.