• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Direct action is a tough question.

All thouse guys, like the Animal Liberation Front, have a very specific view of 'violence'. They are strictly against harming life, so obviously they do not attack other humans, and are non-violent from that perspevtive.

But they have no qualms about destoying property that is being used to destroy life. Just like the ALF goes into animal testing labs and wrecks equipment, the Sea Shepard society sees its goal as crippling the equipment of the whalers.

I have heard both sides of the story, and both have merit.

Like Farquah says, long-term goals are wrecked for very short-term successes. People get impatient with the slaughter, and want it stopped NOW. But sometimes that isn't realistic, and dismantling the machinery and providing alternatives to slaughter (which are these people's livelihood) takes TIME.

On the other hand, sometimes no amount of petitioning and documenting changes the system. We all know examples of that. And at times like that, direct action looks very appealing, and may bring a sense of ungency and commitment to a struggle that makes the autorities think twice about continuing it.

And as much as they are using force to stop the whalers and are painted as terrorists for doing so, who is breaking international law willfully and getting away with it?

but, CB I can't believe you ate it...

sure sometimes there are things that must be done for cultural sensetivity but if you really believe whaling is wrong you shouldn't have eaten it no matter what.

I have been offered many times by friends with restaurants but will never eat whale, due to my beliefs..

Originally Posted By: Indo
but, CB I can't believe you ate it...
sure sometimes there are things that must be done for cultural sensetivity but if you really believe whaling is wrong you shouldn't have eaten it no matter what.
I have been offered many times by friends with restaurants but will never eat whale, due to my beliefs..

yeah, well, I ate it and I liked it!! just kiddin. I blame myself, I am a naughty, naughty boy and shouldnt have done that. Time to 反省 that... where's my plate of dolphin...? sick.gif
 Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
But he ate it right?
Why is that good for the cause?

Well. First of all, he said the guy wasn't even aware that eating whale was an issue, so 'harpooning his arse to the grill' might be a bit heavy handed.
Secondly. If he got all upity about it, and stormed out of the restaurant, he could easily be dismissed as a silly gaijin.
I think CB's tactful protest was the best outcome he could of achieved. Maybe now the guy will think about serving whale in the future.

IMO \:\)
  • 3 weeks later...

Japan haven't said that they won't hunt them

""I think we had an agreement ... between the United States and Japan that humpback whales would not be harvested, I think, until maybe the International Whaling Conference in June,'' US ambassador to Japan Thomas Schieffer said.

doesn't sound solid in my opinion.

My kids really enjoyed the class I did on Japan hunting whales/dolphins this past sememster. In my evaluation form so many of them said they had no idea and were glad to learn about it. Several kids said they would never eat whale nor dolphin, and many said they plan to cut back eating fast food, as well as let their friends know about the effects it has on you. Was a fun semester.

I used to work part time in a Japanese restaurant. I was fed whale tounge by the shop master. Another time I had whale on a company bounenkai. Both times, I didn't think much of the taste or texture of the meat. Give me some primo toro any day.