Gloves for now. Used to have mittens but gloves just have much more dexterity. Can actually pick things up or give people the finger.

Maybe when I start to do some serious backcountry skiing/touring I will wear mittens for really cold weather.

Unless it is a warm day, I like mittens. There is way, WAY less stitching, therefore they are way more waterproof. Plus the friction between your fingers in a pair of gloves also causes water to penetrate.

well those are sound points.

are the supporters of mittens troubled by the reduction in dexterity?

i have just bought gloves (burton gore glove - for over jacket)... but they are mighty bulky. make me feel a bit like mr blobby.

is this a look which is going to pull the chicks?

blobby blobby blobby.

There isn't much reduction in dexterity with mittens anyway. Most of what you're likely to be doing is thumb stuff, but you can still use your fingers with mitts.

I always have wet hands when I'm boarding. I'm not happy about it. \:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
There isn't much reduction in dexterity with mittens anyway.
Obviously spoken by someone used to riding in familiar terrain and not having to constantly reach into one's pockets to consult one's gelande map.

Also, if you don't want wet hands, try refraining from playing with yourself on those gondolas. Discard that MileHighClub membership now before you lose ALL your hair...or is it too late for that already?

Mittens are the ONLY logical way to go IMHO

they last longer - less stiching

to fall apart.

keep your hands warmer.

no problems if they get inside-out.

easy to remove the inners (which should also be mitts, btw) if its warm.

easier to dry out.

& get good ones - worth spending the money.

cheapos will fall apart after 1 season.

Mittens all the way.

You can't really use your fingers all that well in gloves anyway cause they are so fat and puffy.

I never find myself in a position wishing that I was wearing gloves because of things that I need to do with my fingers. If i need to i just take off my mitt do what I need to and bung the mitt back on. That doesn't happen much though.

mittens, mittens, mittens.

bought a new pair when i was `home` this august.

tha pair i was wearin before that had sort o` died. BUT, i bought them in `98 in b.c. and have averaged 30+ days a year.

oh, and btw low pressure dude, the inner is a GLOVE!!!

deff. way ta go. warmth of a glove, and practicality (less stitching) of a mitt.

yas have been told!

I use a good pair of Burton gloves with an inner, removeable liner. Its been a while, but I can't remember my hands getting really cold or wet last year. The only problem was the inner liner catching sometimes while putting the glove on. I have a new pair of Burton mittens I'm gonna try when I finally go this year. Momo used mittens last year and preferred them to her gloves...

I like fingers. YOu can do more with fingers. When I was sking with mittins I prefered wool mittens under the shells. You know the type of mittens that can be a mitten and allow your fingers to be free when you pull the top part back. those were toastie and good when on the bubble chairs and figiting with tools and things.

OK, here's how I figure it... I believe in layering for your hands, just like your body: A wicking layer of polypro liners, an insulating layer (this is where you can adjust for different temps) 100/200 or 300 weight fleece, then a goretex shell gloves or mittens depending on the temperature. Mittens and gloves with built in liners are too hard to regulate temperatures and they take too long to dry.

The best shells I've see are from Outdoor Research and Black Diamond.

I always wear glove liners under mittens, that takes care of the dexterity issue. just whip off the mitt real quick, adjust and back in.

This setup has never failed to keep my cabbage grabbers toasty and dry even down to -20F.

> Mittens and gloves with built in liners are too hard to regulate temperatures and they take too long to dry

Agreed, but it's really hard to find anything without that. In shops that have maybe 40 or more varieties of gloves and mitts, there's only 1 or 2 shell types. And they're always really expensive.

Also, what's the deal with using leather on gloves? Why do that? You have to keep oiling it don't you?

Yeah, the leather thing seems to be dominating the decent mit/glove department. My experience of leather (in said area) has always been negative, and besides, leather reinforced gloves are too damn heavy.

Got a pair of 16 yr old snowden moulding gortex/fleece mountaineering mitts, twenty quid, still going strong.

Don't make mitts like they used too...