There is nothing hard about BC in kagura, other than running up the top in the morning to find some undisturbed snow for some tracks. In fact I don’t really mind about people flocking up the top, after all I am also part of the flock. ;\)

The fact that it is a pretty easy hike makes it that popular.

What I don’t like is that although they advertise it so much, they don’t take any measures for the safety of their customers.

Naeba and Kagura are owned by the same company. Now, when they permit slides to happen inbounds in Naeba, you can imagine what measures they have taken to avoid them out of bounds in Kagura.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
Naeba and Kagura are owned by the same company. Now, when they permit slides to happen inbounds in Naeba, you can imagine what measures they have taken to avoid them out of bounds in Kagura.

That's a fair point. They do tend to promote the easy access thing and if they're doing that then they ought to take some responsibility for making sure it is safe.

I agree. The design of the resort is a bit.... awkward. I think there was no real planning and stuff got added slowly over time alhtough Kagura long timers may be able to correct me.

If you have extra cash laying around, you can stay at the hutt at the top of Kagura and go for the goods early on before the resort opens, but you will not be hiking from the top of the quad.

Still undecided unfortunately we really need to get our act together.

We both would like to go to Zao. Then the other main target right now up there is Hakkoda and a few places like Geto. But it's not as simple as the Nagano thing and we need to get it sorted.

Kamui has a good attitude towards their back country - it is roped off but it is only a warning. When you buy your tickets there is a map with areas marked in red where avi's have been known to occur - they figure you have been warned. If they know you are heading bc they will draw your attention to the map and discuss the current conditions with you.

Kurodaki is in the same league as Asahidake in that they both are BC areas with lifts, but if the weather is dodgy you have the great run to do under the cable way - just get it right, where as in Asahidake you have the one course and to go anywhere else you need to know your way around a bit. Getting it wrong involves walking in deeeeeep snow. Been there...

I found Rusutsu no problems, we skied anywhere - I loved the run under the gondola, for some reason not may peeps went there.

No one has mentioned Teine in Sapporo, where they have a cable way specifically to access the five off piste (arguably bc) bowls. They had the deepest powder I saw in Hokkaido - and the most competition for it as well!

Quote:
No one has mentioned Teine in Sapporo

Interesting that, never really heard anyone talking about that place. Deepest powder as well. How did it compare with the Big N then Journey Man?

It is a small resort on the edge of Sapporo with a couple of interesting off piste areas. The easiest area is to the left and under the chair while the bowls off the cableway are more challenging and steeper. The further away bowls off the cableway are quite steep too. There are a couple of awesome drops hidden in there too. Awesome to watch others go off, I might add!

If the snow's good you can easily do a couple of days there. It needs fresh snow to be fun, but gets good quantities when it does snow. It must be awesome in a "normal" year. It is the only time I've ever had a 100m section in the middle of a run where I had face shots every turn. I had to run straight briefly just to find out where the trees were!

Compared with Niseko it is waaay smaller, shorter runs, the off piste is steeper, and there is much less variation within the resort. The snow is better though. If it has fresh snow and it isn't the weekend you wont get bored, but you may get lonely. \:\)

Leave off Liverpool, jealous ones.

Not many cities can equal the spirit and general greatness of Liverpool and it's people. ;\) \:D

Seriously, I think it is a great city and gets a lot of unfounded rubbish talked about it.

A bit off topic this, sorry.