• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ridden at places on Hokkaido, but here's my 2-cents:

Niseko - pretty open off-piste policy at the 3 conjoined resorts, accessible B/C

Tomamu - there's specified off-piste riding areas, but you need a keitai and have to fill out a wavier

Sahoro - there's a designated off-piste area

I've heard people on here saying Rusutsu is "open minded", but my experience has been to the contrary.

"Progressive"? How about Sapporo Kokusai Ski-Jyou - last season they had a boarder on the patrol! He's probably like an unmarked police car to catch off-piste powder poaching pirates though... No boarder taking a quick glance over his shoulder would guess the boarder coming up behind them is about to bust their @$$!

This is Japan we're talking about here, so "open-minded" and "progressive" is difficult to come by, and when present comes in well-rationed quantities. Think of the opposite of The USA when it comes to "common sense" and "restraint".

\:D

what happens if you try and go snowskating at 47?

it seems weird that they won't let snowskates, when most resorts allow people to ride those ridiculous scooter contraptions

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
They dont allow you, I dont think snowskates or bikes should be allowed without leashes.

that was the killer. They asked us about leashes at the bottom of the gondola, and we showed that we have them (i have a particularily beefy one, and ALWAYS use it) so they let us on.

Then, when we tried to get onto a lift, they said no. I complained that we were let up the gondola (they didn't believe us, they thoight we had hidden them from the lifteies) when all of a sudden, some guy on a snow scooter pulls up and gets on the lift no problem.

THAT pissed me off, and i asked why jack-ass contraptiosn like that were allowed, but mine wasn't, and they gave the usual arbitrary excuses.

Whatever, we went to Tsugaike after and never heard a peep from anyone. The park was way better too.

I heard perhaps this is mistaken that there is a particularly dangerous part to 47 just off course and has caused problems in the past. Someone will surely know more on that than me, anyone?

Progressive and open minded?

In my limited experience (in terms of numbers of resorts visited) only 2:

Hachimantai

Hakkoda

and half a vote for:

Happo

Kagura I think is the most progressive resort I ve been in terms of letting anyone go anywhere he likes, but I find some of their tactics controversial. They have practically opened up the entire mountain and even give you free topo map photocopy’s of the area above the top lift. Also advertise (posters etc) their tree runs and BC to the point that have an enormous amount of people, considering the size of the mountain, going out every weekend. Still, they don’t do any avalanche forecasting/control for the same areas they advertise they have opened and it is probably a miracle that no one got hurt up to now. Basically if you go out you are on your own and the resort doesn’t take any responsibility.

Also twice this season, I was asked at the top of the mountain by people that came up holding their boards on their hands “how do I get back to the lift areas from here”. wakaranai.gif

Even if they don’t start doing avalanche forecasting and staff, I think I would be much happier if they installed a beacon-gate or something at the entrance of the top lift.

I'm glad they don't. It's one thing to be safe but the hills around Kagura are pretty tame. There is far greater danger of running out of ride than getting caught in the slide. Not that I'm saying you do TB, but there are people who impress themselves about being hard BC men around Kagura when but apart from the bitch of a climb from the quad to the top of the top lift, the rest is a doddle. I know there have been slides but last season there were slides in bounds a Naeba. A healthy dose of reality wouldn't go astray.