Not heard much on the Arai front of late. Last I think was that it would be closed last winter (which it was) but maybe open next winter (ie. the one in front of us).

So - will it be?

Not heard much locally here, apart from the rumor that they might open the hotel facilities as apartments/mansion rather than hotel - or not open that at all... just the ski hill. That's all I heard.

• 4 weeks later...

TB. Some people make out it is in this middle of nowhere location. It's not really. It is about 15 minutes drive north of Myoko and you can get to Arai in 1 hour from Nagano (sounds similar to Nozawa / Hakuba that).

It is in the middle of no where. The only access is by car. The town is far down the road. 1 hour from nagano equals one more hour that people have to drive. You must use the pay highway or drive up and over from nagano.

Well just to qualify a few points here.

It's only really "in the middle of nowhere" as much as many other resorts are if you ask me.

First of all, there IS access by train to Arai. The train goes through Myoko and up to Joetsu, stopping at Arai on the way. From the station the resort area is a 10 minute shuttle bus ride, which the resort lays (laid?!) on for guests. So that's pretty much like lots of other resorts in other areas.

One hour from Nagano = about the same time it takes to get from Nagano to Hakuba or Nagano to Nozawa. So there's not much difference there.

You don't need to use the pay highway to get there within a reasonable time - there is a fairly fast normal road, Route 18, that takes you up into Myoko.

if you come from tokyo you dont have to drive all the way to nagano. ti myoko or arai in the winter you are looking at almost 6 hours of driving. hakuba is 4.5 thats a big difference. Ive been mate, its expensive, in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.

route 18 in the snow is not fun.

Nagano is too small to support that many ski resorts.

I'm not saying you are wrong Fattwins, just I do not think it is quite as simple as you suggest.

Many people use the train. They go to Nagano. From there they get another train. In that case, Arai is comparable to other popular areas.

It is also nearer to people like me than Myoko (slightly) or Hakuba. Tokyo is not the only market.

Whatever! No skiing or snowboarding there this winter!

\:\)