Kyoto - as great as the reputation or over-rated?

I kind of slammed Alex Kerr up above but his books are still worth reading. For an anecdote for his musings however, read ‘The Japan We Never Knew’ by David Suzuki. (I think that’s the title) Very good book and very positive.

Gotta say somthing about the station --I totally disagree with Kerr on that. I think it's impressive and beautiful. I agree with him on the tower though. What's with that???

Kyoto station →kyotost.jpg

VS

Tokyo station →dsc20065.jpg

I like Tokyo station much better, this red brick structure has a history like temples in Kyoto.

I read Dogs and Deamons and met Alex Kerr in Tokyo few years ago.

I thought it was a good book but can't remember what he said in his book.

That means it wasn't so impressive to me.

ger, I hear good reputation about David Suzuki but never read his books.

His speech here is pretty impressive and I'd love to read his books.

David Suzuki Member Day Keynote Speech

I liked Kyoto, the transport was good and while we spent just two nights there the hotel was directly opposite the train station making it easy to get about.

We nearly made a huge mistake, we were booked into the Dia-Ni Tower Hotel and it was a terrible hotel, in fact the dirtiest hotel I have ever seen in Japan, we walked out and went around to the Tower Hotel and asked if they had a room and I told them why, they turned out to be the same company so they moved us at no extra cost. While I was not impressed with Dia Ni I was very pleased with the response to our concerns.

Kyoto is a great jump off point to see Nara

you mean with all the garish neon turned off? look at the thing, it is mish-matched, irregular, boxy, grey, and to me, an eyesore.

I was an art major in school, and i love all forms of art, architecture included. but this thing is hard on the eyes, even if it wasn't in a place like Kyoto.

For someone who is visiting a place they imagine the old cultural arts of Japan to still be alive, is that the first thing you wanna see?

Its like going to see a geisha, and instead getting Beat Takeshi in drag.

When I first went Kyoto I was also little disappointed. It was quick tour of main place and I did not really enjoy. But since I went two more time with people who know it and spend more time I grow to love it. But I agree station is not good.

Please study before go!

Why is this turning into a discussion on the trainstation. It is not that you can/need to see it from any given point in Kyoto.

Just get off your train, walk out and don't look back. And on your way back see it as the entrance to the rest of Japan.

I may not know Kyoto that well (and so don't get it as much as I could) but for me a place like Nikko with everything nearby and surrounded by prettiness rather than ugly city beats it easy.

The thing about Kyoto is that it always has been a city. It was the center of Japan for years so it will be built up. YOu can never stop exploring in Kyoto. Just when you think that you have seen it all, you will find this time travel back alley or shrines tucked into corners. maybe youll find an important Japanese grave with views so prefect. Mountain shrines and temples that offer the prefect bento spots.

One of the things I miss about Kyoto most are the sunrises and sunsets. The sky will sometimes turn that prefect pink to orange color and as you watch you can see the sky turn blood red right in front of your eyes.

For a more traditional feel explore keihan eizan line

I noticed the same thing as Fatτwins is explaining. Wile it was kind of tiring to move around on bicycles, we had the chance to see soo many nice hidden places in the alleys, as we tried to avoid the main streets that were full of traffic. If you take the one day pass for the bus or trains, is like missing the forest for the tree. You leave Kyoto having only seen 3-4 main temples and with an ugly last taste on your mouth from the monstrous station. Exploring is the best part about Kyoto, that why next time I wanna take my time there.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
I noticed the same thing as Fatτwins is explaining. Wile it was kind of tiring to move around on bicycles, we had the chance to see soo many nice hidden places in the alleys, as we tried to avoid the main streets that were full of traffic. If you take the one day pass for the bus or trains, is like missing the forest for the tree. You leave Kyoto having only seen 3-4 main temples and with an ugly last taste on your mouth from the monstrous station. Exploring is the best part about Kyoto, that why next time I wanna take my time there.

Good point. And while it may be tiring to go on bike, it is probably faster than public transportation anyways. The buses crawl around when its busy.

There's so many things to see within Kyoto within walking/biking/bus distances. Granted, the central part of the city isn't particularly attractive.

Although both Nikko and Nara are much nicer in the nature sense, there are a few heavily visited attractions near the train stations, but there are many more interesting sites spread out around the outlying area that are a fairly long bus/taxi ride away. Nikko and Nara would be better if you have your own car, otherwise you are at the mercy of the bus schedule and route. There ends up being a lot of "catch bus out to the boonies, walk to temple, do the reverse and return to ekimae," then, "catch a different bus..." Before you know it, the sun is disappearing behind the picturesque mountains and you haven't seen half of what you wanted to, but you have seen way too much of the inside of buses.

If the Eizan line is the one that goes to Kurama from Demachiyanagi, I think it is the most expensive line per station in Japan. Its nice up there though, so good call. During autumn leaves time, the train goes through what can only be described as a red tunnel. Everyone gasps when they see it.

Lots of Kyoto's best bits are around the edges. Kurama, Ohara, Kamioka, Uji, Fushimi Inari etc. Even in the center though, you don't have to go far for Gion, Kiyomachi, Heian Jingu etc. Osaka is brutal by comparison. I always used the Hankyu and Keihan lines so I don't really know the JR Kyoto station area. I went maybe twice in ten years. It does look a bit crappy and industrial though. I've only seen the station from the back side where its a big grey box with randomly placed fire escapes.

Though I tend to agree with his general sentiments, I can well understand Alex Kerr being as described.

Mr. Wiggles, i love kurama, too!

Miyama’s recommended,

went hiking to ashu virgin forest recently, and almost stepped on this big scary snake.....

My favorite cafés

efish, very berry café, merry island (good service), sarasa (lovely machiya)

It’s almost June now,

means time for “kawadoko” desu.

• 1 month later...