• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we just divert the Japanese whalers down to the breeding grounds in Sth OZ and get em to take a few of the white variety instead. They could close the whale restaurants down in Tokyo and open up fisn and chip shops.. everyones a winner!

I dont know what the answser is. It's probably not a good idea to take the apex preditor out of the food chain, but what other animal is allowed to go around munching on people on a regular basis and get away with it scot free?

When those two surfers got taken down SA a few years ago, the authorities were sending people out to make sure no-one was harming the sharks. WTF

Originally Posted By: Mantas
This dude
sharkattack_narrowweb__300x317,0.jpg

What doesn't add up? I think he was some kind of dero living in a cave there.

bitten by a shark then crawls back to his cave and sleeps til his girlfriend finds him in the morning and takes him to hospital.
he was swimming in the middle of the night?
he lives in a cave?
and, despite the fact that he lives in a cave he has a girlfriend?

the shark bite looks real, but so much about the guy and the circumstances of his attack is so very odd

i don't know how cold japan gets, but you should be able to pick up a hood, booties and gloves quite cheapy. this is just a guess based on what i've seen, but say about $50-60US all up

i surfed wales in december once, in just a 3/2 with a thin thermal rashie underneath. so so cold. icecream headaches from each duckdive, and i was almost in tears watching broken waves come towards me and knowing i'd have to duckdive. my body was warm enough but my extremities were frozen solid. i think i gave up after 20 minutes and went to the pub for a cup of tea and a pint

i also surfed northern spain in march in just a 3/2, and cornwall in april. water wasn't as bad and i could comfortably last about 45 minutes so long as i kept paddling around

i really wished i'd just boght a hood, gloves and booties though. they make a huge difference

SHARK ATTACK AT BONDI A HOAX

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/dumb...7740447692.html

A shark attack at Bondi Beach, which made headlines around the world, never occurred and the man who made the claim has been arrested for theft, sources have told smh.com.au.

Scott Wright had told reporters on the weekend that he thought he was a "goner" after being bitten on the arm by a shark on Friday night.

The last attack at Bondi was 70 years ago.

Even as early as today lifeguards at Bondi thought a wobbegong shark might have been resposible

But sources have told smh.com.au that Wright injured himself when his arm went through a glass window - several days before the alleged shark attack.

It was only on Saturday morning, after a woman asked how he received his injuries that he said he was bitten by a shark, the sources said.

He was treated for his injuries and received dozens of stitches at Sydney hospital.

smh.com.au can also reveal that Wright is currently in jail after appearing in a Sydney court yesterday on car theft and robbery charges that allegedly were committed in Bondi sometime between Monday night and Tuesday - after the alleged shark attack.

He did not apply for bail and has been ordered to appear in court on February 18.

Originally Posted By: spook
i don't know how cold japan gets, but you should be able to pick up a hood, booties and gloves quite cheapy. this is just a guess based on what i've seen, but say about $50-60US all up
i surfed wales in december once, in just a 3/2 with a thin thermal rashie underneath. so so cold. icecream headaches from each duckdive, and i was almost in tears watching broken waves come towards me and knowing i'd have to duckdive. my body was warm enough but my extremities were frozen solid. i think i gave up after 20 minutes and went to the pub for a cup of tea and a pint
i also surfed northern spain in march in just a 3/2, and cornwall in april. water wasn't as bad and i could comfortably last about 45 minutes so long as i kept paddling around
i really wished i'd just boght a hood, gloves and booties though. they make a huge difference

I've surfed as far south as Dunedin on the east coast of the South Island of NZ. You're going to see penguins, sea elephants, seals, the occasional whale and probably sharks. The air temperature is colder than the water. It's still 5-mm material though. It's no secret that this is some of the best surfing around (in NZ anyway).

Further south down at the Catlins, you're getting some of the most powerful surf in the southern hemispehre and those only one word to describe the surfers..... hard.
SHARK ATTACK AT BONDI A HOAX

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/dumb...7740447692.html

A shark attack at Bondi Beach, which made headlines around the world, never occurred and the man who made the claim has been arrested for theft, sources have told smh.com.au.

Scott Wright had told reporters on the weekend that he thought he was a "goner" after being bitten on the arm by a shark on Friday night.

The last attack at Bondi was 70 years ago.

Even as early as today lifeguards at Bondi thought a wobbegong shark might have been resposible

But sources have told smh.com.au that Wright injured himself when his arm went through a glass window - several days before the alleged shark attack.

It was only on Saturday morning, after a woman asked how he received his injuries that he said he was bitten by a shark, the sources said.

He was treated for his injuries and received dozens of stitches at Sydney hospital.

smh.com.au can also reveal that Wright is currently in jail after appearing in a Sydney court yesterday on car theft and robbery charges that allegedly were committed in Bondi sometime between Monday night and Tuesday - after the alleged shark attack.

He did not apply for bail and has been ordered to appear in court on February 18.

Your a super slooth Spook. thumbsup.gif

I took his word at face value. He looked like such a nice chap in the photo.

Spook- Did you surf anywhere else in the UK? My in-laws live on the north east coast. I've been told (by a reliable source) that they actually get some decent waves there sometimes. I only been in the UK once with my board but never got inspired enough to get it out.

Tripi- Got any pics of that part of NZ?

i've surfed cornwall a few times, been down there for about 6 weekends in total i guess. newquay is the main surf town, there's some fun waves in town but it gets busy. just north of there are some other beaches and headlands. if you are prepared to go for a hike up the beach you can find some sick beachie set-ups wedging off the rocks, with very few other people prepared to go for the 15 minute walk. i had one of my funnest ever surfs at a beachie near here. a series of rights bouncing sideways off a headland and grinding down a bank. very trippy seeing sideways lumps come towards you, mix with incoming swell and grow into this crazy slingshot peak

i've also surfed around croyde/bude, which is about 4 hours straight west from london. a mix of weak beachies and some very solid dreging beachies. there's waves in the UK, but around cornwall they are quite crowded. you gotta admire the poms though. couples are out learning to surf in droves, braving freezing water and terrible weather, but still getting the stoke.

i wanted to surf in the NE of the UK, but didn't find any waves. we never got to explore scotland and the noth of the UK properly because we had various mechanical problems, but i'd love to go back and spend some time there in autumn or late spring. it would be a very different surf trip, that's for sure

there's some piers with fun beachies around newcastle. some of my mates have surfed there. the water is very very cold in the north sea.

there's also lots of heavy grinding reefs and slabs, and the odd point. uk mags and the surfers path often have some ripper photos - all dark and gloomy, heavy water and industrial landscape. i can't seem to find any pics on the net, but some of the better surf lineup shots i've seen have been in NE UK.

it looks like an adventure, that's for sure! cold as f#ck though

there's also a suppossed g-land style secret left up there. the g-land claims are probably a bit over the top, but i've seen pics and it looks quality. big, long, heavy and cold

there's a few surf guides to europe and the uk with most of the main spots listed. defintely grab a copy before you head over next time and bring your board. it's alsways fun to surf in a new country and in a new ocean or sea

i've surfed cornwall a few times, been down there for about 6 weekends in total i guess. newquay is the main surf town, there's some fun waves in town but it gets busy. just north of there are some other beaches and headlands. if you are prepared to go for a hike up the beach you can find some sick beachie set-ups wedging off the rocks, with very few other people prepared to go for the 15 minute walk. i had one of my funnest ever surfs at a beachie near here. a series of rights bouncing sideways off a headland and grinding down a bank. very trippy seeing sideways lumps come towards you, mix with incoming swell and grow into this crazy slingshot peak
i've also surfed around croyde/bude, which is about 4 hours straight west from london. a mix of weak beachies and some very solid dreging beachies. there's waves in the UK, but around cornwall they are quite crowded. you gotta admire the poms though. couples are out learning to surf in droves, braving freezing water and terrible weather, but still getting the stoke.

i wanted to surf in the NE of the UK, but didn't find any waves. we never got to explore scotland and the noth of the UK properly because we had various mechanical problems, but i'd love to go back and spend some time there in autumn or late spring. it would be a very different surf trip, that's for sure
there's some piers with fun beachies around newcastle. some of my mates have surfed there. the water is very very cold in the north sea.
there's also lots of heavy grinding reefs and slabs, and the odd point. uk mags and the surfers path often have some ripper photos - all dark and gloomy, heavy water and industrial landscape. i can't seem to find any pics on the net, but some of the better surf lineup shots i've seen have been in NE UK.
it looks like an adventure, that's for sure! cold as f#ck though
there's also a suppossed g-land style secret left up there. the g-land claims are probably a bit over the top, but i've seen pics and it looks quality. big, long, heavy and cold
there's a few surf guides to europe and the uk with most of the main spots listed. defintely grab a copy before you head over next time and bring your board. it's alsways fun to surf in a new country and in a new ocean or sea

Check out Ireland. The surf's a lot better according to Josh Kronfeld (ex-All Black and competent surfer).

yup. i defo want to head there too. just need a warmer van. all the irish blokes i met on the road in europe had built little pot bellied stoves into their campervans. they only need a tiny bit of wood to warm up the entire van. you need these things over there, even in the summer

i was going to spend a northern hemisphere summer working over in ireland doing surf coaching, but the thought of only 2 or 3 sunny days per week in summer turned us off and we hung out in asia instead

I've heard about this left. I even know what it's called but I wont name it here. I love those G'land comparisons, they make me laugh. There's only one G'land. Sorry.
Most of my memories of the UK are pubs and rugby. Like you say it's great to surf new places, but England mmm..I'm really gunna need some inspiration there. The last few times I've been to the NE coast it was small and shite.

I wish more punters from different places would post on here. Then again it is a Japan snow forum. lol.gif