The swell has dropped a lot and the wind is from the south-east.

Time to rest.

I shot a few hangliders out above dixon park.

Here is one of them.

glider04.jpg

I am thinking of getting a new camera. One with some decent zooming capacity. and a fast shutter speed mode.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canon Ixus 70.

Stop laughing. mad.gif

I am thinking about a :

1. Olympus SP-550 UZ

AU$649

18x zoom.

not an slr but this may suit me because it is much smaller for travelling.

Uses XD cards ???

2. Canon PowerShot S5 IS

au$629

12x zoom

Pentax K100D

au$899

dslr

comes with two lenses, xx-70 and 75-300

The DSLR's are much bulkier and i am tending to the Powershot style cameras which are much more compact but still have a decent zooming capacity, especially the olympus.

I do not need a professional unit, just something that will take reasonable surfing shots and i can travel with and take reasonabley decent snow shots..

And i do not want to spend thousands of dollars. Maybe if i get right into it.

those compact/dslr hybrid cameras you've listed all look alright i reckon. there's some crew on here who are well into their phoography (and it shows, they take good pics), but if all your after is an all purpose camera with decent zoom then they look like good options to me.

i've been using a compact powershot a80 (i think it's the a80, it's about 5 years old now) and i've been pretty happy with the pics i've managed to get. there's bugger all zoom on it though, so i normally take lineup shots rather than action ones

i'm going to upgrade to a DSLR in the next few months though.

Originally Posted By: spook
you back in oz indo? getting any waves?

I was spook.
Got back this am.

Boards are all in OZ now so no surfing for me unless it gets killer.
Got start packing to get outta here in a few months.

Mantas, what boat ya got?

I gotta 5 metre fglass runabout with a 70 4 stroke Suzuki. I've only had it a couple of weeks. I've done more surfing than fishing out of it so far. Going over again tomorrow for another crack. The swell is coming up again.

This from Swellnet for tomorrow.

Strong E/NE swell around 6-8ft at most open beaches, with occasional 8-10ft bombs at exposed locations.

Time to crack out the 7'2" \:\)

Nice boat mantas. That will get you across the bay.

Southeasters blowing again. curses.

I got my new camera. A canon S5 IS.

So you should be seeing some top photos when the surf comes again.

I just gotta learn how to take surf photos properly.

Blowing dogs off chains up here too, though some of the crew got waves over there this morning. Tomorrows looking the better day.

Koko, that camera got shutter speed functions and such? I gotta Fuji finepix 9 meg with a built in 28-300 zoom and most SLR functions. It takes a great photo but it's big and bulky and doesn't just slip inside your jacket either. It chews through the batteries too.

yeah, it has got Aperture priority, shutter speed priority and full manual control.

I think i saw your one at the shop yesterday. I was considering it..

It is a bit big for my liking but i guess i will just have to live with that.. and/or ski with a backpack.. damn!

"blow a dog off a chain" that is such a fisherman saying, my captain used to say that. wave.gif

I went all the way down to frenchmans the other day and it was really small.. work that one out. i was gonna go out behind but it was nothing.. ????

Here are some of my first pics from the new camera. Newcastle Beach.

Test only. Using shutter priority at 1/400.

I had the resolution too small coz i just wanted to take heaps of pics..

They are better than the ixus at least. I still have a long way to go.

lid01.jpg

new080106-01.jpg

new080106-02.jpg

new080106-03.jpg

We surfed over there again the last 2 days. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get the 8-10 foot bombs as promised. There was no need for the 7'2".

Still it was a good swell and I've surfed more in the last 2 weeks then I have in the last 3 months. It's real bonus to get a good swell at this time of year. Surfing in board shorts is a treat.

Back to some serious work now. \:\(

as much as it hurts, the secret to taking good surf pics is putting time and effort in

i generally only take pics when i've got heaps of time and am surfing heaps, so i don't care about sitting on the beach for ages waiting. and looking around for decent angles too

no surf here, but went sailing on a cat yesterday and had a bit of a snorkel.

then just got pissed and listened to the cricket on the radio. good result for oz, but some shocking umpiring has left india understandably feeling hard done by

Originally Posted By: spook

no surf here, but went sailing on a cat yesterday and had a bit of a snorkel.
then just got pissed and listened to the cricket on the radio. good result for oz, but some shocking umpiring has left india understandably feeling hard done by

I thought BP would've started a cricket thread about that already......Slacker

why the gold coast reference?

my topic of the day:

i find the gold coast/northern NSW generally quite soft, well at least compared to WA. consequently everyone up there thinks they're a hero and is a bit of a show boat. here in WA people are much more laidback and self-depreciating. i think it's because it gets freakin scary alot of the time here, and that sorts out the men from the boys very quickly. nothing like a big lump of fear to keep everyone humble

i just looked at snapper on the webcam is all, and i think laterally, not linear. \:\)

I would agree with you about WA.

I have been out the bommie at Margarets and all the locals are just pulling into massive ten foot barrels like it was nothing.

I was feeling very humble that day.

it seems like flouro is making a comeback though. kelly in his white wettie. taj in his bright green one in europe last year, fanning in bright blue in brazil, and nathan websters been rocking a yellow one in sydney. will be interesting to see how far this tred runs, especially with all the crazy 80's gear the grommies are rocking at the moment

i bought a rip curl steamer in j-bay cos i needed one and the only colour it came in had this red pattern all over it. i look like spiderman and feel very self-conscious down south, especially on a green board!

oh, a mate bought a simon anderson 6'2" a few weeks ago and it is sublime.

mmmm, it is so sweet. he has a hot missus but he loves this board even more than her. and the boys have stopped staring at her and just ogle his board nowadays