Wave pools...mmmm

I saw one in action in action in Hawaii, a flow rider that is. After surfing on the North shore for 2 weeks I wasn't about to fork out $20 US to surf a little board with no fins on a out of control stormwater drain!

I will be impressed if they produce a rolling swell of 2 meters though. Till then I'll take my chances with the Yakkas.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bit slow in getting some pics up, but this is from our xmas-new years trip... not telling where!

2190778195_405a64d2cb.jpg

we surfed here for about 3 days, then a neighbouring beachie when the swell got too big and closed out the whole bay in a straight line from about 100m beyond the rocks. the biggest problem around these parts is finding somewhere that's managing the swell. on this day the swell would have been running at about 1-1.5m, so god knows where people in these parts surf in winter

for the most part we surfed by ourselves, maybe with 1 or 2 others out. this is the busiest we saw it, but i was waiting for the light to get nice for pics. we were pretty pleased with the crowd factor, especially as this is one of the busiest times of the year.

unfortunately there's a speck on my camera lense and a spot on the photo, but i'll get a graphic designer mate to clean that spot out for me

Nice pic. The right looks inviting but all the crew are in a diff possy.

Were ya surfing that or the left running into it?

Wavepools.. We have a flowrider here and they are so gad damn hard to master. I have tried a few times (on a lid) and it's nothing like the real world! The line up is so long that wait 30-45 mins to get spat out after 10 seconds just didn't make it seem worth it in my book.

Would be fun to book it for a private function.

Conversation I heard by one of the wavepool locals " How are the waves today?"

Pissed myself laughing after hearing that!

Originally Posted By: Indo
Nice pic. The right looks inviting but all the crew are in a diff possy.
Were ya surfing that or the left running into it?

surfed the empty right, and also floated around a bit closer tot he rocks in the background and there was another right that would bounce off the rocks and stand up
those blokes sitting in the corner were waiting for some smaller rights that would peak up. dunno why they weren't surfing the bigger pic, but more waves for us!
the first 15 minutes i paddled out there i just marvelled at the amazingly clear blue water. it was spinning me out
 Originally Posted By: Indo
I've seen a doco on those guys doing training.. nutters.

one of my best mates from HS is in the coast guard and is a S&R diver. He said some of the waves/storms they have been in have been insane so I wouldnt be surprised that theyre real!!

A nice session today. 3-4 foot bowling rights (backhand for me). For once I was the dude getting all the boomers, and not watching everyone else get them. thumbsup.gif

Another shark hanging around out the back again, just 20 feet away, it been around for days, only 'little' though.

I've never surfed there but seen it going off. It's a heavy spot to surf when it's big. A few solid ones up here too. I grabbed my 6' 8" by mistake and really struggled out there today, but still jagged a few, there was no-one else out. I needed my 7'2" for sure. I'll have another crack at it tomorrow

I have never surfed it either. I dont like the idea of bashing my head on a lump of sharp steel or something..

some more pics.

harb04.jpg

harb05.jpg

harb06.jpg

I made lots of mistakes but am learning heaps. doh!