• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooh, good topic mantas

i think i will get some waves out of the way now, just to keep the posts down:

chalk up morocco for the natural footers, and the goofies can have the bukit peninsular in response

likewise with lennox, byron and the gold coast vs jakes, red bluff and gnaraloo

so i guess we are all about even at this stage? i got a coffee table book called the pilgrimage - 50 waves to surf before you die (or something like that) for xmas. nice pics, good writing. anyway, i'll do a right vs left count on the weekend and let you know the results!

nowadays i like surfing with mates who are natural, for the simple reason that if we're looking at a beefy right we're all out there. when i'm outnumbered by a couple of goofy mates, more often than not they'll want ot find a nice clean left somewhere

Ohh spook, this was a great way for us to up that post count!

Funny thing is, some of my fav waves are Lefts..

Ulu's, Padang & lakeys (although it has a bloody short but intense right too) I tend to be able to pig dog pretty well because of this, sometimes feeling easier to get into the late takeoff with less effort. Just harder so sometimes get through the end!

my pig dogging is rubbish. i can get pits when it's big, but not in little waves. mostly i just assume the pig dog position and sit deep in the bowl, but not really tubed. obviously i will work on this in indo

one of my mate is the master of backhand tube riding. he's a big guy but somehow can contort his body into even small tubes. it's amazing to watch, especially as his backhand tube riding is waaaay better than on hs forehand (weird huh?)

Originally Posted By: Indo
Sorry Sarge but Nusa dua just doesn't cut the world class qualification..
Pretty shiat wave that's way over rated with a killer rip.

Periscopes

I was trying to think of a top rated right in bali and that was all I could think of. Must admit though, so many freaking good lefts there it is not funny frown.gif

Sarge , mate you are right.. If there has ever been a place I had wished I was goofy it was in Indo.. Bukit, Deserts, Scars and supersucks..

No use dwelling though. I'll get out anywhere.. I know plenty of guys who will only surf waves on their forehands., They'll even go out of their way to do so!

My good mate Lana out at Ulu's is in the top three out there and he is a natural.

If ya looking for good rights in Bali maybe Serangan, Sanur and furthur east is where the action is.. Tanjung Sari out at sanur is Craaazzzeee.

Originally Posted By: Indo
Sarge , mate you are right.. If there has ever been a place I had wished I was goofy it was in Indo.. Bukit, Deserts, Scars and supersucks..

No use dwelling though. I'll get out anywhere.. I know plenty of guys who will only surf waves on their forehands., They'll even go out of their way to do so!

My good mate Lana out at Ulu's is in the top three out there and he is a natural.

If ya looking for good rights in Bali maybe Serangan, Sanur and furthur east is where the action is.. Tanjung Sari out at sanur is Craaazzzeee.

I surfed deserts, scar and supersuck a couple of years ago on a boat trip. Scar was HEAVY, Supersuck was perfect on high tide and unrideable on low, and deserts was only 3 ft but still lots of fun

Yep...I dream of all those filthy left handers out there. By the time this topic is done, you will seriously think next time you jump to you feet, "mmmmm...Mantas was right, maybe I'll put my right foot forward

lol.gif

Frigates pass.

I haven't even started on the B graders yet. The Island.pfffft. ;\)

ok, i flicked through this book last night, and tallied up the lefts vs rights. i'm not sure if it's deliberate, but there's an eve number of each. and somehow, i've missed one of the spots, so have only included 49 on the list.

anyway, it's an interesting list. i'm sure there are many other waves that could have been included, but that's the difficulty of compiling lists like these.

i've included margarets as a left, because at any serious size the right is a death wish

pilgrimagecover-small.jpg

Rights

1 Anchor Point, Morocco

2 Angourie, Australia

3 Arugam Bay, Sri Lanka

4 Bells Beach, Australia

5 Burleigh Heads, Australia

6 Cave Rock, Australia

7 Cloud Nine, Philippines

8 Coxos, Portugal

9 Honolua Bay, Hawaii

10 Jeffrey’s Bay, South Africa

11 Kirra, Australia

12 La Jolla, Mexico

13 Lagundri Bay, Nias

14 Lance’s Right, Mentawai Islands

15 Lennox Head, Australia

16 P-Pass, Caroline Islands

17 Rincon, USA

18 St Clair, NZ

19 Shipstern Bluff, Australia

20 Soup Bowls, Barbados

21 Sunset Beach, Hawaii

22 The Superbank, Australia

23 Thurso East, ScotlandWaimea Bay, Hawaii

Lefts

1 Black Rock, Australia

2 Chicama, Peru

3 Cloud Break, Fiji

4 Desert Point, Lombok

5 Gnaraloo, Australia

6 Grajagan, Java

7 Haapiti, Moorea

8 Joaquina, Brazil

9 Macaronis, Mentawai Islands

10 Margaret River, Australia

11 Mundaka, Spain

12 Nihuwatu, Sumba Island

13 One Palm Point, Panaitin Island

14 Pasta Point, Maldives

15 Piha Bar, NZ

16 Pipeline, Hawaii

17 Raglan, NZ

18 Restaurants, Fiji

19 St Leu, Reunion Island

20 Tamarin Bay, Mauritius

21 Teahupoo, Tahiti

22 The Island, NZ

23 Uluwatu, Bali

Peaks

1 Bundoran Peak, Ireland

2 Hossegor, France

3 Puerto Escondido, Mexico

as an aside, i've surfed 11 of em. can't wait to get on the road and tick some more places off this list

Rights

Anchor Point, Morocco

Burleigh Heads, Australia

Jeffrey’s Bay, South Africa

Lefts

Desert Point, Lombok

Gnaraloo, Australia

Margaret River, Australia

Pasta Point, Maldives

Piha Bar, NZ

Raglan, NZ

Uluwatu, Bali

Peaks

Hossegor, France

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Morocco sounds nice. I love that country. Where is Anchor Point?

it's in tarzhoute, about 15 minutes drive north of agadir.
agadir is trying to turn into a sad tourist town - they saw the monumental f*ckup that is the south of spain and decided to replicate it. tarzhoute is a bit of a surf ghetto too. i generally find that packs of surfers congregating in the one spot doesn't result in the best vibe - a bunch of blokes chasing waves, booze, drugs and women. still, for the people there i'm sure they welcome the tourist dollars.
i personally had more fun in little villages with a more low-key vibe. sacrifice a bit of wave quality, but the upside is a smaller bunch of happy campers treading lightly and more welcoming locals. still give these areas 15 years and they will turn into a monster. you can't stop tourism eh? (and i freely admit to being as much of the problem as everyone else)

Just did a quick tally of your list Spook. 14 for me. Where's cave rock?

Puerto had smoking lefts when I was there Indo, or maybe I wasn't looking at the rights. shifty.gif

I'll bet none of you have surfed in Israel? \:\)

cave rock is near durban.

i haven't surfed israel but have seen the pics. wouldn't take a board there but would definitely borrow or hire one, just for the novelty value.

i've surfed the med, just near nice. knee high windslop but i had to do it just to claim it.

there are some great lineup pics of the med, but you need some very fickle conditions to perfectly align. still, i've seen shots of very fun looking right points.

i've also hear that the south of italy and sardinia are consistent, due to prevailing winds from the north of africa. sardinaia has a couple of "big wave" spots, and southern italy has some fun looking left points. all windswell though, you can tell from the shots that the wave period is very short

and there's documented surf in egypt. yadin nicol did a shoot there a few years ago, and a pommie lid called stuart butler went there first.

there's an interview with the fellow here:

http://www.fluidzone.com/pages/?go=words&wordsID=1360

it's a pity he doesn't seem to have a website, cos i've seen pics and stories of his travels scattered randomly on the net and in mags, and he has been to some wild places chasing waves - india, pakistan, yemen, ghana and benin (home of voodoo)