Originally Posted By: Mantas
I stitched my mates foot at Red Bluff years ago, not really sure if he needed it.

Red Bluff has the best exposure of sedimentary rocks in WA. Cretin Uni used to take their students to Shark Bay instead. Reason: lecturer didn't like heights. Don't snigger UWA, your lot visited salt lakes. It's a tragedy that both departments were hamstrung by well connected tenured morons.

Cretin sacked me after I took them to Rottnest. Student feedback was "this was the first field work we enjoyed...."
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: soubriquet

Cretin sacked me after I took them to Rottnest. Student feedback was "this was the first field work we enjoyed...."

did the students' enjoyment have anything to do with the fact that rottnest has a pub and red bluff doesn't?

There was an element of that in it. Also, I encouraged them to bring surfing and diving gear. We knocked off early (lunchtime) on the last day, and had all the gear delivered to west end. Fieldwork on bikes was regarded as somewhat rad.

That aside, I work on the principle that students having fun learn better than students thinking "when is this going to end?".

hear hear.

despite getting good marks at school and uni i find learning exceptionally boring. i doubt i have any form of ADD, but i just can't sit still listening to people talk for more than 15 minutes without wanting to slit my wrists

engaging students in the subject matter is pretty difficult, but it sure is effective

My formal learning days are over. I'm like you Spook, a 2 hour site induction is enough to drive me nuts. "Yellow vest and safety helmet must be worn at all times, pedestrian walk ways are clearly marked, smoking is prohibited any where on the site..........blah...blah...blah.." cry.gif

Originally Posted By: spook
shiiiiiiiiiiit, how many site inductions do you have to sit through?

Every single one mate, and they have to be updated annually. One of the Aluminum smelters I worked at was a 2 day course just to get in the gate. A further dozen or so inductions were needed if you wanted to actually do some work around the plant.
I have at least 15 induction cards in my wallet.
  • 2 weeks later...

how's the leg koko?

i can't watch that vid at work mantas, i'll check it out tonight

nothing wrong with canary yellow either - one of my mates is called "yellowshorts" in recognition of the fact that he wore his favourite yellow shorts for an entire summer (he literally didn't take em off)

I just showed my boy and he was impressed. He is swimming real good now..

They call it Natural for a reason, mantas. and goofy is quite an apt description for those who do so.. ;\)

my leg is gettting better slowly but i cant stand on it yet..

time will heal all i hopes..

Phil edwards was a remarkably stylish surfer. i think he brought the first fibreglass boards to australia ??

• 4 weeks later...