• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you got any wider shots to show these guys the set up? It basically breaks inside Newcastle Harbour on concrete, old train tracks... and whatever else a 200 year old breakwall is made of.

Yes Bushy, Canon S5

1/1000 at f3.5 , iso 100.

Continuous is not too crash hot, you cant see what you are shooting.

And it is only about a frame a second(afaik ??? )

I was a bit too tight most of the time, you live and learn.

Mantas, this is about as wide as i got. doh!

It just shows a rock sticking out.

harb07.jpg

One of the lids told me he got bounced off the rocks and he had blood all over him. \:\)

i've heard about that spot - isn't there twisted metal and all sorts of nasties lurking just under the surface?

and do people get seriously hurt out there?

the new ASL has some ridiculous shots of shipsterns in it.

air-dropping monstrous steps and into 15 foot pits.... crazy. will try and find some pics on the net

yeah, all the mainland crew didn't fly down there, as the wind forecast wasn't good, so left it for the local tassie boys who had it to themselves.

they're calling best/biggest/most outrageous ever

some of the photos are hideous. there's a dvd of it coming out soon too

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Have you got any wider shots to show these guys the set up? It basically breaks inside Newcastle Harbour on concrete, old train tracks... and whatever else a 200 year old breakwall is made of.

I have been told that same story as well, but it is BS. That story is told so great flocks of people don't try to take it on. Once the water clears up and there is no swell, check the bottom out with a pair of polarised glasses on. You can see that the area where the wave breaks is just small piece of flat reef, like at flat rock.
I have surfed it probably 6 times. I use to ride a lid out there as a kid and it was great. Surfing it is a different story. You have to commit yourself to the take off or else you will go over the falls or end up on the breakwall if you try to pull back. I had a brand new 6'8 rounded pin and took it out there when it was about 2 weeks old. I didn't make the drop on one wave and my leggie was ripped off my ankle, sending the board onto the first row of rocks on the breakwall. I had to dog paddle over all the shallow rocks you can see in the above wide photo to try and get my board off the rocks that were getting pounded by the 4-5ftwaves. After getting my board and scrapping the shit out of my legs, I paddled into the channel to see that my 6'8 was now a 6'4 square tail twin fin with about 10 deep dings.
It is an intimidating place but if you like an adrenaline rush, its the place to be when there is a 10ft S swell or a 5-6 NE with a southerly wind blowing. Also it is easy to get into the water but very tricky to get out, when a decent swell is moving along the wall. On three occasions I have had to paddle all the way to horseshoe beach to get out of the water

That's a classic Sarge lol.gif lol.gif I like the style of the photos. One blokes misery and another blokes joy, all in one frame.

lol.gif

I cant tell you how many times that has happened here in Boat Harbour with people trying to pull their boats out. Old mate down the street usually pulls them out with his tractor.

I thought those harbour stories might be touched up a bit, still a rad place though. It sucks when you trash a new board hey. I once snapped 2 in one day, then another 3 weeks later.