holy crap indeed.

a dead whale washed into a marina in perth a few days ago (pushed in by storms and relentless onshore winds), and there's been reports of 5m whites right in the harbour going to town on the carcass.

0,,5594385,00.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22181921-2,00.html

i've surfed an outer reef about 2km offshore from the harbour entrance. it's situated off a small island populated by seals. needless to say it is a spooky spot. every second summer a news helicopter will film some white nailing seals just near the break.

mantas' pics look pretty bloody hair-raising....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that hillarys then spook? I never got out to the island, but remember watching some massive barrels peeling around either side of it from a hill near the marina. Contemplated paddling out with some mates a few times but thankfully common sense prevailed.

TB I'm just north of Newcastle, east coast. People are just getting blasie about Whites being there, they have been there on and off for a few years now, everyone knows they are there, The last 2 surfs I had there, I've seen sharks. Crazy. It's only a matter of time before someone gets chopped. Just hope it's not me. I used to stay out till dark. Not anymore !!!!

I think WA is a little more dangerous , they get the big suckers over there. IMHO

yep, i think the reports of sharks are credible bushy. it's all a matter of perspective really. i mean, o fcourse there's sharks in the ocean!

i'm terrified of the things, but i guess it's what you're used to.

i wouldn't go back to south africa in a hurry, but i met people in europe who wouldn't surf in WA. i think that's ridiculous.

i'd like to hit cactus for a 3 week trip in a few years. mates who have surfed it reckon there's tons and tons of uncrowded waves. i just got to get over my noah paranoia

Perth has great whites roaming the channel between Perth and Rottnest Island. The boaties have reported seeing them for years. They are everywhere, and you gotta be damn unlucky to be the poor prick that they decide to snack on.

I look at it this way. You have more chance of being crushed, maimed, amputated, killed, or put into a vegetative state driving down to your local break. Sharks are mean mothers and I hate seeing them in the water but try and not think about them while your out in the line up. If of course you see a fin, paddle in.

Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
I look at it this way. You have more chance of being crushed, maimed, amputated, killed, or put into a vegetative state driving down to your local break.

That's true, and I chant that to myself over and over as the sun disapears and I'm the only one left that cant get a wave in...

Was just looking back through some of the pages of this thread and thought we need a bit of a photographic recap \:\) By the way, Mantas takes honours by a mile for providing heaps of pics (ones that still show anyway). Spook probably takes second.

Mantas_11.jpg

Grannis06_L.jpg

photo_surf_Chile_Central_Santiago_punta_

392679388_53b2f66634.jpg

(OK I ripped that from spooks flickr page)

392668960_5ed9f413e3.jpg

(and again)

DSCF0507.jpg

934.jpg

Shark_Island_free_fall_130607_01.jpg

photo_surf_Chile_Tarapaca_colegio_42da66

OF3L6464.jpg

Lineup_050707.jpg

Lineup_060707_2007768235.jpg

(again, eek.gif )

Lineup_290507_200753074556.jpg

819067790_02f399b349.jpg

whites003copy.jpg

Mantas, They're just small little buggers! Is that the beach where they reel em in with the salmon? My mate a local Journo and surfer (from newwie) covered a story on that a while back.

Spook, if you haven't gotten over your shark thing by now, I think you never will. Get to Cactus before it invades your brain. Awesome sopt.

Yes Indo they mostly are 'small' little buggers. About 6-8 feet. But every now and then a 10 footer gets spotted as well. It's also the number of them that worries me.

Yes that is the place where they catch them off the beach.

Can you get Tracks over there? I dont normally buy mags but this one has a feature on all the swells we got over here. 8 swells in 30 days. Also a huge section on Bali. Thought you might find it interesting.

Nice recap Bushy.....As they say " A picture says a thousand words" so think how much waffle I saved you from.

lol.gif

6-8 feet. Thats not small. Thats bigger than me and I sure as hell dont wanna see something bigger than me in the water while Im in it. Reef sharks in Hawaii were much "smaller" and on the big side might have been 5-6 feet but most likely a diff species if they were over that. I damn piss my pants if I saw something over 10 feet coming up right next to me in the line up. Id pull a Jesus and just run cross the water surface. You people need to have a psych evaluation IMHO \:D

The reason I ask is that Adelaide seems to have more than its fair share of GW shark attacks. Apparently the migration route is right down the west coast of Oz to the Great Ozzie Bight, right on Adelaides shore, to their mating grounds.

Most of the attacks in SA have occured on the west coast near Ceduna, Pt. Lincoln, Victor harbor (friend was taken there) and Aldinga. That attack 2-3 years ago at Glenelg was a shock.. 3-400m offshore.

You sound like you've spent abit of time over there TB?

Perth I think you'll find has had more attacks in metro areas.

no, just the one off cottesloe beach about 7 years back indo. The guy got taken early morning on a wave-ski about 50 meters off shore. Ripped into his leg, they got him to the beach where he died of blood loss. Other than that, none in Perth. There was a guy taken down closer to Margarets (near Gracetown) about 2 years ago, but that's about 3 or 4 hours south of Perth. I'm pretty sure the cottesloe attack was the first fatality in Perth on record.

yeah BP I just checked up and it was the only one. It was the same guy I thought it was, the older guy (48) swimming and leg ripped off. I must have gotten sightings and attacks mixed up! hard to keep track of em all!

See the 3.5m hammerhead that they chased down and killed in Izu today?

Jaws fever is alive and well! Can't they just chase it out to sea?

Yeah, I spent almost a year in Oz back in 2004. We travelled all round the counrty, beautiful place. My fave area though has to be North western australia, awesome. i worked in adelaide for 3 months (my aunt lives there) then headed west to Perth and up the coast, travelling to Monkey Mia, Shark bay, Thru the Kimberleys etc, took a flight over the Bungles stopping in at Broome for a while. Then we headed right up to Mitchell Falls in a 3 4WD convoy. Best time ever, There are no real roads up there, more just tyre tracks, camping, swimming and drinking away. ace!

Originally Posted By: Indo
Most of the attacks in SA have occured on the west coast near Ceduna, Pt. Lincoln, Victor harbor (friend was taken there) and Aldinga. That attack 2-3 years ago at Glenelg was a shock.. 3-400m offshore.
You sound like you've spent abit of time over there TB?

Perth I think you'll find has had more attacks in metro areas.

a year or two before the fatal attack at north cott, about 2km further south a paddleski was attacked by a great white about 200m offshore. brian sierakowski was thrown into the water, but a nearby paddleski paddled over and he clambered on board and they got to shore safely. that (non-fatal) attack took place about 300m from 3 surf spots (coves, seconds, isos). that would make cottesloe one of the statiscally worst places for shark attacks. yet it is generally a safe family beach and it doesn't have any sort of spooky vibe to the place.
in the past 12 months there have been two other attacks in WA - one down in esperance and a small bronzie in the cocos islands bit a kid's leg. they're not perth realted, but it still seems like they're worth mentioning.

in australia at least, i would say SA has the worst record. sorry to hear about your mate indo. that is sad indeed.

i think the crazy thing about sharks is that there's not many activites you can do in the modern age where you run a (admittedly slight) risk of being eaten by a predator. we are so used to being the top of the food chain, that the thought of being munched by an animal seems more alarming more than car crashes etc etc.