yeah, i guess he best advice for you king, would be that most of the big name brands are fine. if there are any problems they'll warranty it pretty quick.

expect to get 3 years out of a suit. that's what i normally get, with fairly regular use.

and wash it out it fresh water every few times (to keep it soft), and hang it in the shade. i've seen heaps of japanese surfers in oz hang their wetties from coat hangers to dry, but the weight of the suit will stretch the shoulders. just drape it over a chair or a rail or something.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh spook, they've got the super dooper mega wide shoulder like coat hangers here now, on sale at all good surf shops!

Like you still think better to hang from the middle.

Spook, a student of mine is on his way now to Gingin to do his 3 mth regional work for an extra year working holiday visa.He wasn't going to take his board! (can you believe that!) I checked out the place from the coast and it didn't seem too far (maybe an hour?) Is that right? and what beaches could he hit up from there?

Cheers

how good a surfer is he?

the closest (and best) area is lancelin. it is notoriously windy and oftten onshore though. it faces south so picks up more swell than the west facing perth. you need light to medium NE winds. the town itself is pretty shitty. just a cray fishing town on the edge of the world. there's not much to do except, surf, windsurf and kill fish. you definitely wouldn't be taking your missus there for the sightseeing.

there's a punchy beachbreak called back beach that can either be very good or increibly bad. mostly it is good, punchy little quick peaks.

then there's a series of outer reefs. (from south to north) eddies is a 10min paddle from the lagoon. a right. can get good but i've only surfed it once. sharp reef on the paddle out to.

hole in the wall is next, a right breaking int a reef pass. 20 minutes paddle from the beach, with giant cray boats cruising past you. if you get lucky you can ask fishermen for a lift out. it has a rep for being sharky but i feel pretty safe out there. except for the one time we were out there and had a shark sighting. it turned out to be a dolphin, but we sat there, a km from shore, and not really sure of what we could really do. it's a proper wave, with power similar to the SW of WA. can only hold up to 4 foot, but nice barrels.

then there's a left further north along the lagoon call south passage. it is suppossed to be great, but i've never surfed it (i always hit hole in the wall cos i'm natural). about a 15 minute paddle from the jetty.

if he has access to a 4wd, 20 minutes north of lancelin is a beautiful long stretch of empty coastline. pristine white sand, turqouise water and great waves in medium swell with light winds.

2 hours north of gingin is a spot called green head. an outer reef right with lots of marine life.

but lancelin has waves to cater for all abilities. there's also some backpackers full of glamour euro girls learning to surf and windsurf, if he wants to stay there on weekends.

Great summary spook. We we sitting out at Eddies once, and as a mate of ours popped off the back of a wave, a very large fin cruised between us and him. It wasn't a dolphin, we were all convinced. We all got a very good look at it, and have seen our fair share of both dolphins and sharks. That really put the shit through us, and it was an extremely long paddle back over the reef and then across the lagoon. The island near their is called Sharkies or something right? (if my memory is correct), and is a known breeding ground for sharks apparently eek.gif But yeah, good surf to be had all through that area thumbsup.gif

at worst he'll have fun at back beach Indo! thumbsup.gif

Spook, ever hit Ders? I heard it gets really quite hassled these days, that's too bad. I remember when you had to do the walk up the beach, or have access to a 4WD, and the numbers weren't bad at all...

i really like ders, but haven't surfed it in ages.

the crowds around perth are incredible. i've been looking for a new car (a forester) which has kept me in perth the last few weeks. hopefully i find one this weekend as i'm keen to start hitting down south more often. be nice to get some real waves!

anyone following the chile WCT?

i watched a bit of the live stream last night. can't remember who it was (maybe bobby martinez) get a throating double pit, about 5 seconds all up. it was booooolshit.

i hope it gets macking. i've love to see how everyone steps up to it at 12 foot

oh yeah, apparently there was a lid contest there last year and it was pretty hefty - you know anything about it bushy?

yeah i hear that. but now that they hold comps in good waves and there's live updates on the net... well, i'm stuck at a desk all day so i've started taking an interest in it.

when are you back in perth? let's surfing!

I was watching it with a few cans!

Bobby got a screamer and D. Hobgood did too.

The Amerikan commo on the webcast was giving me the shits last night! Had to turn the sound off!

I feel really sorry for the lids. 10 years ago they were splitting $20K US total prize money and today it's still the same.

Surfing has 300K US an event and that's pretty low when you consider some of the companies and the popularity of the sport.

i know what you mean indo. one of my mate's brothers is a well known charger on a lid, and he has given up trying to make a career out of it.

i'm not sure how the classification works, but i think he was highly ranked in international dropknee comps. i've also seen double page spreads of him in mags, riding dropknee in HUGE pits at backdoor, with the most glowing captions you could imagine. i think the only money he had coming in was small amounts from contest winnings.

still on the money side of things, but more about sponsorship than prize money - there's plenty of surfers on tour without major sponsors too. mel redman carr absolutely shreds, and almost won a world title last year without a sponno. and i think bede dubridge doesn't have one. trent munro was the same a few years ago. and mick campbell won the WQS last year and only just picked up a sponsor this year.

anyone play golf? before this years US masters they were talking about how difficult the course is, and all the promos were accopanied by dramatic opera music, as if they were all going to war or something. they're just hitting a ball around a bloody field!

compare this to surfing chopes, or big mountain skiing...

Originally Posted By: spook
anyone following the chile WCT?
i watched a bit of the live stream last night. can't remember who it was (maybe bobby martinez) get a throating double pit, about 5 seconds all up. it was booooolshit.
i hope it gets macking. i've love to see how everyone steps up to it at 12 foot

where in Chile Spook. Any links?
 Originally Posted By: spook
i know what you mean indo. one of my mate's brothers is a well known charger on a lid, and he has given up trying to make a career out of it.
i'm not sure how the classification works, but i think he was highly ranked in international dropknee comps. i've also seen double page spreads of him in mags, riding dropknee in HUGE pits at backdoor, with the most glowing captions you could imagine. i think the only money he had coming in was small amounts from contest winnings.
still on the money side of things, but more about sponsorship than prize money - there's plenty of surfers on tour without major sponsors too. mel redman carr absolutely shreds, and almost won a world title last year without a sponno. and i think bede dubridge doesn't have one. trent munro was the same a few years ago. and mick campbell won the WQS last year and only just picked up a sponsor this year.

The top boys make good coin though. Ryan Hardy does pretty well and Kingy got a 6 figure sum over a few years.
Big companies like Bong and QS pretty much pay their top few guys 90% of the money and spread the rest out. One of my riders/shapers on the CT was getting less than the years airfares! for being in the top 20!
another million a year to surfers wouldn't even dent their balance sheet in the slightest bit.

Arica, my friend is there and I enjoy watching the live webcast every night.

It's very interesting for me to see coastal landscape, waves and locals there.

Originally Posted By: Indo
Mantas, I'm a bit shocked you don't know where to find a link to an asp WCT event!
aspworldtour.com and go to the ripcurl link or click this

Fair call......I'm just lazy. Been busy too. \:\(

If it's Arica, then I'd say they are surfing El Gringo. A seriouas left and right breaking on a slab of rock. When I was there it was out of control so ended up surfing this break deep inside the harbour. A bit bazaar surfing in amongst ships and cranes. Out of view in this photo.

ex-islaalacran.jpg

when were you there mantas?

the el gringo waves looks pretty hectic. some of the decriptions the pros are giving makes it sound like a nasty wave indeed. you gotta figure that if it is kicking the crap out of much of the top45, it's one of the worlds most brutish waves

there's some interesting posts about the comp here:

http://surfinglife.com.au/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=159&Itemid=164

this is much better than 3 foot beachies! death and glory!