1995 Spook. Arica is a cool place. Chile's most northern town. There's some hardcore places down there and some hardcore surfers too. We don't hear much about them. If it's not happening in Hawaii or Tahiti, then it's just not happening.( as far as some people are concerned)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've seen some crazy pics of that BIIIIG left down there - i think it might be near piche limu? some chilean madman taking off on waimea sized waves, surfing solo... absolutely mental.

vol13no5win04.gif

you have a good time there? and how much of south america did you do?

We (wife & I) spent 4 months in SA. Mostly Chile, Peru and Bolivia. It was fantastic. Like nowhere i've ever been before. One day I'll go back when my boys old enough to surf, love to get some of those long lefts again.

Check out this from a few pages back.

Thinking of going Spook?

yup. its never really been on my radar until now, but i'm pretty pumped for it. probably head to canada for a season in 08/09, then want to haul through central and south america.

a few mates have been and everyone raves about it

Originally Posted By: Mantas
1995 Spook. Arica is a cool place. Chile's most northern town. There's some hardcore places down there and some hardcore surfers too. We don't hear much about them. If it's not happening in Hawaii or Tahiti, then it's just not happening.( as far as some people are concerned)

Mate, that happens even down in SA and vicco!
All about exposure, and Chile ain't really in the picture.
See the guy who took off on the bomb of a right switch foot in the expression session? (You can check out the ripcurl podcast for that)

Chile looks sick but warm water is where my holiday destinations are!
 Originally Posted By: Indo

Chile looks sick but warm water is where my holiday destinations are!

Northern Chile is not too bad. A lot warmer than SA in winter. Southern Chile is Farking freezing. Around 9-10 deg. in winter. The longest session I had down there was 2 hours.

Spook-Sounds like a great trip. We did it in reverse. Rio to Montreal 7 months, almost all of it overland, we had to fly from Bogata Columbia across Panama as there is (was) no roads. Let me know if you want some info.

that's awesome mantas. we are thinking bout doing a long haul overland trip too. i'll send you a PM at some stage, and you'll be regretting having to type out a moster email about your trip. or maybe you'll be happy to, i know i'm always stoked to fill in friends about places to go to and ways to do it etc.

maybe you should start a trip report in the travel section, i'm sure folks would be keen as hell to hear about an epic trip like that

Was at Taito on Sat and Sun. Waves were OK on Sat but pretty nice on Sun - however this meant that the sea was absolutely chock-full of people, like ice cubes clinking against each other in a glass. Later on it started drizzling and loads of people ran away, which was even better. I really enjoyed myself, so much easier to catch a wave when they have a little size and shape. Still, would be even better in the sunshine and warm water! Anywhere in Asia that has nice (but not too big, I am still very rubbish!) waves around Oct/Now? I will be gagging for a beach holiday by then methinks.

spook, other than small, it was... small.

pretty gutless, as it usually is in the nihonkai unless there is a typhoon nearby. I started off sitting out the back on the weak sandbar, but ended up getting pissed off at the way it would break and then back off again. So I went and caught a few in the shorey. Had a slight bit more punch but was still not great. As I said though, it was nice just to get wet and float around for a bit, especially after a fairly busy coupla weeks.

Spook- Dont mind telling tales of travels but time is my problem at the Mo. Work is crazy.

I have some great photos of the trip, but they are all in film. I have a big box full of negatives that I will one day digitize. i have some good ones of the car we bought in Costa Rica and drove it all the way to the Quebec ski fields where the cops took it off us.

lol.gif

Here's a couple of them that I had done.

Tikal Guatamala

IMG005.jpg

Panahachel Guatamala

IMG013.jpg

Inca trail Peru

IMG020.jpg

nice pics thumbsup.gif

it's going to be howling onshore, but a 7m swell is hitting margs on monday. all sorts of novelty spots around dunsborough are going to be popping up

HOWLING onshore here. there's been 100km gusts overnight. mainbreak is about 18 foot. perth is pretty solid too, double head on the beachies, and ugly as hell.

surfed the calm before the storm yesterday. sideshore, headhigh dredgy bombs at triggs.

i need some clean waves soon. when the front passes there's going to be some epic banks