Howz that.......... big and clean. I think I'd need bigger than my 7'2" to tackle those ones. What's your biggest gun Indo?

Nice photos. I wonder how many other spots were caught on film?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen it that big and so clean!

We've had it at around 12ft, no where near as clean as that.

I'm the same as you Mantas, a 7'2 is my biggest rhino chaser!

Been used just once... still waiting..

I reckon I could go 7'6" or bigger these days.

No way would I take those waves on at the moment. I would need to be a lot fitter and have some solid surf confidence up( which I have niether at the moment).

But fark. Dont they look inviting?

i never surfed ulus that big, but damn it looks so clean. geez, it's pretty bloody solid huh?!

the beauty of indo is that the trades straighten the swell out into those beautiful lines. waves in WA are so thick, so fast and so heavy, whereas indo is compartively tamer. i haven't spent much time in indo, but have surfed big ulus and big scar reef and remember thinking both were pretty manageable. that's not talking myself up, i just like how lined up the swell is when it hits the reef.

after a few days of surfing ulus at 8 foot, it got to 12 foot one day, with just one guy out. it looked so perfect, but a bit too big for me. i remember thinking "i'm glad i've only got a 6'8", cos if i had a 7'2 i wouldn't have any real excuse for not going out"

but that swell is freaking huge. what did your mate have to say about it indo?

Yeah the surf you get in WA, SA is raw thick swell. The power is still there in Indo, it's just more refined.

They day I surfed BIIG ulu's I was sitting on the cliff talking myself into ti and then out of it!

My mate rocked up with RCJ and he said a few encouraging words which didn't give me any choice! I owe him one!

If I went there for that swell, I don't think I would have surfed.. need to give my self a few solid months to build up again.

s for Lana, I don't really keep in touch. Only when I'm there. Surely you've seen him ripping Ulu's up on his backhand.

don't think i saw him. i spent about a week out at ulu's, staying at this little place called "emma's". i just figured it was a world class wave and was happy to surf ulus all day instead of getting involved in the kuta sh1fight scene. it was good to watch the many moods of the wave - seeing it clean up in the arvo when the trades had straightened out the swell, seeing the effect of the tide etc etc

i know padang and bingin are suppossed to be better waves, but ulus drew the most swell, and we surfed it with only about 6 guys most days. when the swell dropped, ulus got crowded, but when it was solid it seemed that nobody wanted a part of it. or maybe there were better waves elsewhere? not really sure, but i thought it was pretty bloody good!

there was a wiry balinese guy who worked at emma's who tackled ulus solo on the big day when we were there. he was on about a 7'6", taking beautiful drops and just slaying the wave on his forehand

Originally Posted By: Indosnm
Yeah the surf you get in WA, SA is raw thick swell. The power is still there in Indo, it's just more refined.

Exactly....Couldn't have put it better myself. I reckon the closer to the equator you get, the more 'refined' the waves are.
I have to say I've never had a great surf at Ulu's. I think part of the reason is that when the swell was on, I was somewhere else, and when it dropped I headed to Ulu's (just like everyone else). Plus I've had more than my fair share of hidings there when the waves really weren't that good. I've seen some guys get pasted bad and end up getting out down at Padang and walking back along the cliff. lol.gif
The best waves I've had there were actually at Temples.
  • 3 weeks later...

you talkin bout nugget and wingnut? i remember those names from my early 13 year old days as a lid. generally i freakin hate bodyboarders. they're loud and annoying, dress exceptionally bad, and are devious snaking little pricks. that's a rash generalisation, but i find it to be mostly true.

however, there are some cool ones out there, and i occassionally flick through a lid mag at the shops. the slabs they throw themselves into put most surfers to shame.

Originally Posted By: spook
generally i freakin hate bodyboarders. they're loud and annoying, dress exceptionally bad, and are devious snaking little pricks.

Hey, you're talking about me dood lol.gif

You should compare notes with soubriquette, she might have a similar list ;\)

ahh, there's too much hate in the world. despite all the cliches, the ocean is a place of healing and a place to relax and wash away the grime of landlubber life.

i will endeavour to love my crippled sponger brothers...

i think it's just crowded waves that turn me into this. like everyone on here, i love sharing fun waves with just a few mellow crew. lids, kneelos, goatboats whatever. ok, maybe not goatboats