• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
Absolutely Indo. We did a boat trip in New Caledonia a few years back. All the boys surfed this break at 2-3 foot and they all got chewed on the reef. I went spear fishing instead \:D
Mate, how many people have I seen come in at Ulu's or Padang absolutely cheese grated? I learnt the hard way too! But it was mighty fun cleaning my brothers shred marks.. might have to dig that vid up.

Yes I've had a few trips sponsored by Mecurochrone. Nasty business.

It's amazing how the tiniest coral scratch can get out of hand. I once had a small scratch on my knee, I wasn't too concerned as I've had heaps worse, but this one got nasty, ended up with glands fully infected, couldn't walk and a dose of antibiotics.

• 2 weeks later...

hey mantas - you surf j-bay on that day? at that size it is a bitch getting out. one morning we were there i got dragged from supers down to impossibles without even getting out the back. it took me 3 laps of getting smashed to finally punch through the sets, and my feet were absolutely shredded. when there's a new solid groundswell, and endless sets rolling through... phew! i surfed some hefty waves but when it's solid that was one of the hardest spots to ever paddle out at.

392668960_5ed9f413e3.jpg?v=0

there's some more pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61115543@N00/sets/72157594540125373/

a 14 year old gal came second in the womens, and she beat beachley earlier on in the event. i can't stand "layne-i-love-talking-about-myself-beachley".

in the men's i know jake patto beat AI, and kelly and fanning are doing ok. but i ain't watched any footage yet. sitting at work watching blokes get 8 second shacks sounds like too much torture for me

Nice photos Spook. thumbsup.gif I never surfed in Morroco, went climbing some stupid mountain instead.

There's a bit of a story to that J-Bay photo.....aaww OK. I'll tell ya. ;\)

That was actually my first glimpse ever of J-Bay. We just pulled up in the car park, it was 6 foot plus with 4 Guys out !! Too good to be true, and it was.

The 4 guys were Occy, Slater, Lynch and some other dude. It was right in the middle of the Billabong challenge. $50 000 US up for grabs for the best wave.

About 5 minutes later Slater takes a set, 8 foot easy, pulls 2 barrels and snaps a few reos ( I have a photo of one) then disappears down past Salad Bowls somewhere. Takes the $50 k.

About an hour later as we were looking for some digs for the next month, we go to this place were the land lady says "Kelly will be leaving his room tonight". then she yell up the stairs "Kelly. Are you leaving tonight"?

Next thing Kelly Slater comes down the stairs and we have a bit of a chat. eek.gif

When I asked him about the win (and 50k) just 1 hour ago, he seemed pretty non-plused about it all, he was more concerned that we had somewhere to stay.

I think in the month I was there I got J-Bay as good as it gets. I know what you are saying about getting out Spook but I must have been lucky, I don't recall getting the pasting you describe.

:p

Indo- When are we going to see some of your pic's? You must have some crackers.

I loved it too mate. I only said "stupid mountain" as a knee jerk reaction to missing some surf like in Spooks photos. I climbed it in summmer, there was still snow around, I froze my arse off at the refuge hut half way up. i wasn't prepared at all.

Wild place. Wild people too!

6 months. Long time

Hey soubs, what was the snow in morocco like? From what I’ve heard it can be a bit hit and miss, although some Belgian dudes we met scored after a big dump.

Spookette and I spent 3 months in morocco, surfing along the atlantic coast, and cruising around inland, hoofing around dunes, oases and gorges, and taking lots of photos. What struck me most about the place was the incredibly varied terrain and scenery. It would change from mountain ranges to barren desert to lush oases within 100km.

It is such a siiick, exotic place to spend some time and get to understand a bit. And just like the terrain, the people were varied – wonderful, generous hospitality on the one hand, and knife wielding bandits and opportunistic thieves on the other.

I’d like to check out Senegal and Ghana for more of the African vibe and culture. Despite it’s geographical position, Maroc’s more Arabic than African

• 1 month later...

anyone surfed in the pacific much?

i've never been there but lately it's been on my mind and i've been hunting around a bit.

most of the spots seem to be either hell expensive or boat access only. i was planning on going with the missus, and i'd be surfing everyday, but also hanging out somewhere interesting and pleasant for a non-surfer. it doesn't have to be luxury, just somewhere nice and laidback.

from what i can gather:

tahiti/fiji look hella expensive

new calendonia/samoa/tonga look good, but boat access only and expensive.

vanuatu looks like it could be fun, so long as i don't expect to get great waves

any ideas would be mucho appreciated

Fiji's not that expensive Spook. There's a few places on the coral coast dirt cheap with boat access to some hell lefts like

I did a boat trip through New Cal a fews years back.That place has lots of uncrowded breaks, the wind can be a problem though.

Can be a bit expensive there.

Are you a Goofy Goober or a Natural?

My mate runs a luxury cat out of new caledonia.

Not sure when the best time is though.

Why don't you try pohnpei or the Caroline Islands as they're known. That's my next trip. Best in the OZ summer and you can do it much cheaper than the packages.. what's ya budget?

cheers for the suggestions fellas.

budget is i guess a couple of grand. i haven't really worked out details yet, i was just fishing for ideas. i don't really have any holidays banked up, so i'm thinking bout just nipping away for a week. obviously if we had a month or something that'd be better!

i wanted to go away with my girl, still get good waves most days, but also go somewhere where she's going to have a good time (nice beaches, exotic food, somewhere culturally interesting). to be honest i'm a bit over surf missions with the boys. i'm starting to find them a bit one dimensional.

again, thanks for the tips, i'll do a bit more research.

as an aside, a new bloke at work just got back from a few months surfing in chile. if you fly from Oz to Chile you can get a free stopover in Easter Island. he stayed there for a week and got some great waves (lots of fun/quality breaks, and not just the psycho waves you normally see in the mags). Some of the lineups are right in front of the massive heads, which adds a certain ambience to your surf. Just thought i'd put this info out there

Yer....... but do they drink kava and do the fire walking show ?

If your only going for a week. The break in that youtube clip is 26 km out at sea off the coral coast, it picks up any swell, you can surf it at all tides, and the trades are offfshore all day.

So it does offer some consistency.

My mates went to the Caroline islands last year and didn't even get a wave, but I suppose you can get that anywhere.

New Cal has a nice feel to it. Friendly French people, I'm sure your missus will like it. You'll need some effort to get to the waves from Nuomea though but it would be worth it.