Quite a few of us will be spending some time in airports over the next few weeks it seems. I was wondering what people do with their few hours or so at an airport? Read, look at shops, play games?

I often try reading but always end up just seeming to waste my time but do nothing in the process.

i've got 6 hours in hong kong airport on the way to nz ---- my mission will include purchasing a plug convertor and finding a spare socket to charge my ipod for part II of the journey ---- anyone else got any ideas for something else to do for 6 hours in hong kong airport?

singapore airport has a free cinema ---- go for that!

At Narita I always take a shower. I wish all airports had those shower/relax rooms you can rent. Being nice and clean makes your flight so much more comfortable. Other than that, I read. Airports and in flight are about the only places I read fiction.

At Narita there is a place in the airport where you can pay 300 yen for a shower (it's private, you get your own key and little room, very clean!) or for a little more money you can get a private room with a bed, etc. to relax in for like 800 yen per hour. The showers come with all the things you need, shampoo, soap, hair dryers, towels, etc. You can pay in yen or US Dollar. I almost always use this when departing or arriving at Narita. I should mention it's avaliable to anyone with a ticket, it's not in conjunction with a specific airlines first class service, etc.

Good idea.

It really depends on the airport. Unfortunately at Narita there's not really much to look at shop wise compared to lots of other major airports.

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
anyone else got any ideas for something else to do for 6 hours in hong kong airport?

contact Markie, I'm sure he'll be happy to have lunch with you.

Hey Kintaro, where's this shower place at Narita? How do you find it? Ah, I bet it's in Terminal 1 (which I almost never fly out of, since most of my flights leave from Terminal 2).

I love the feeling of having nothing to do. I just sit there and wander about.

Having said that once I had to be at Kuala Lumpar airport for about 8 hours. Now that was sooooooo boring and annoying.

would love to have lunch with markie in hong kong... but i suspect i'll be stuck in the departure lounge for 6 hours, where people not flying anywhere can't get in.... and equally i can't get out.... would love a little trek round hong kong though.

markie if you are free and i do manage to get out the airport - PM me your number thumbsup.gif

//bcs

apart from that anyone else got any cunning plans for hong kong airport.... all 6 hours of it? anyone been through that airport?

Sunrise, it's in Terminal 2 (I don't think I've ever been in Terminal 1). Anyway, the shower/relax area is located near the children's play area heading towards the Northwest Airlines gates. There are internet terminals you can use for a fee in the reception area. The relax rooms are quite often full but I have never had to wait for an open shower. For 300 yen it is highly recommended!

Hey Sunrise, I checked the website and both terminals have a "day rooms and showers" section. Prices have gone up to 500 yen and 1000/hour. You can reserve them over the internet.

Most airports have massage parlors now, too. I would HIGHLY recommend the pre-flight massage.

Never realized how stressed and tight I get before flying until I got a pre-flight massage and flew unstressed for the first time.

This thread reminds me of a website called sleepinginairports.com or similar.

Its a pretty cool site, just first hand tips on how good each aiport is for kipping in.

Changi (Singapore) also has a great outdoor pool with full facilities... It costs something like ten dollars... They've also got free tours of the city without going through immigration... pool tables... movies. Next time I travel though, I'm going to try and get a prescription of vallium though. Helps with jet lag too.