Had a great night out the other night with the north west lads. Had about 7 beers, each one different and I, er, can't remember any of the names! Good stuff. Great to meet up with people and have a talk about tons of stuff (including some of the characters on here ;))

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

THE price of British beer could be hiked up 15p due to soaring production costs, brewers warned today.

Jobs in breweries may be threatened as a result of an increase in the price of raw materials, the Society of Independent Brewers (Siba) said.

UK harvests of barley and hops were badly affected by the summer downpours.

And this has pushed up prices by nearly 40 per cent for barley compared to last year and 100 per cent for some hop varieties, Siba said.

It is feared the price of British-brewed beer could go up by as much as 10 to 15p per pint.

\:\(

3 different Japanese people on 3 separate occasions have told me that it is illegal for people to produce their own alcohol in Japan. One of those people planned to do it anyway and took a bunch of homebrew kits back to Japan with him.

This weekend I plan to brew a wheat beer (of sorts) with Manuka Honey in it. It’s loosely based on a recipe from Canada with maple syrup in it. I suspect it will be very good or very bad.

There is no homebrewing in Japan?! TRAVESTY! I'll have to run this across the Asia forum at beeradvocate.com to confirm.

I just had a nice pumpkin ale tonight from local craft brewery (in Seattle), Elysian. Some pumpkin pie spice notes but also actual pumpkin gourd flavor. I probably wouldn't have more than one per sitting, but very well done and tasty.

An update from a fellow beeradvocate on another site:

Short answer: No, it's not illegal as long as you keep your abv less than or equal to 1%.

Long answer: Possibly because of that law (and I don't know the penalties and other details) homebrewing is not really a widespread hobby in Japan. But it exists, and if you search the BA directory you can find a *few* homebrew suppliers in Japan. One of them indicates that they ship kits with instructions for brewing in Japan (1%abv) and separate instructions for if you are brewing outside Japan. Funny. There are even homebrew competitions, although how they judge a bunch of 1% beers is beyond me.

For the four years I lived in Japan I all but gave up homebrewing, the dearth of suppliers and limited apartment space being the two main causes.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
shite, we already pay anywhere from 850 yen to 1000 for a pint of Guiness and Kilkenny over here \:\( bummah!!

They are Irish beers, not...ahem shifty.gif .... UK beers.

That won't stop them putting the price up though!! ;\) \:D
 Originally Posted By: 66jzmstr
An update from a fellow beeradvocate on another site:

Short answer: No, it's not illegal as long as you keep your abv less than or equal to 1%.

Long answer: Possibly because of that law (and I don't know the penalties and other details) homebrewing is not really a widespread hobby in Japan. But it exists, and if you search the BA directory you can find a *few* homebrew suppliers in Japan. One of them indicates that they ship kits with instructions for brewing in Japan (1%abv) and separate instructions for if you are brewing outside Japan. Funny. There are even homebrew competitions, although how they judge a bunch of 1% beers is beyond me.

For the four years I lived in Japan I all but gave up homebrewing, the dearth of suppliers and limited apartment space being the two main causes.

The alcohol % is governed by the sugar content. More sugar = higher percentage. So policing the homebrew alc.% is a mute point really.
  • 4 months later...