• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't had Fat Tire. There is some excellent American beer from small brewers. Some of it tastes a bit 'beery' for my tasteless Australian palate. Sam Adams tastes too beery for me to drink more than a few.

I like Leffe, but it gets a bit sweet.

I had a pils last night that tasted like there was a shot of gin in it. Very sharp. Not my favourite.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I'm a victim of advertising. After watching TV ads for these new 'premium' beers with cold skepticism, in a fit of weakness I bought two tinnies of Asahi Prime Time last night. I thought maybe Asahi had had long enough to manage something decent.

Wrong.

The initial aroma is of wet tissue paper, and while the first taste is slightly promising, that thin, wet and widdly aftertaste characteristic of all Asahi beer is there with a vengeance in their 'prime' brew. Yuck. After I poured in a long shot of my homemade umeshu and dropped in a handful of ice it was drinkable.

The question remains what should be done with the second tinny. Perhaps I could throw it at next door's yappy dachshund.
Ditto that, we tried it before leaving and it was shite.

Have been enjoying many a Beer Laos out here though \:D
  • 11 months later...

I had some Wells Banana Bread Beer tonight. Very nice. Actually tastes of banana.

bbb-bottle-web.jpg

This unique brew (Alc 5.2% vol) combines all the traditional qualities and style of a Charles Wells bitter with the subtle flavour of banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.

Originally Posted By: Ocean11
 Quote:
Originally posted by 2pints,mate:
Beer country being...?
England being one. (Germany is the other one)

Touche! Belgium must be in that list as well: Duvel, Chimay, Orval, d'Achouffe? There's too much beautiful beer in Belgium to deny.

The US would be in that list with all the absolutely incredible things small craft breweries are doing over here, but it's all in the shadow of the horrid BMC (Bud/Miller/Coors), so I understand its omission.

belgium takes the cake for beer in my books. other than the quality of the beer, it was also pretty damn cheap in bars.

plus when you stumble out completely sozzled, you can eat the world's best chips with amazing mayonaise. thumbsup.gif

Chimay is actually a monastery, and one of only five actual Trappist ale producers in the world. (All Trappist-style ales from secular breweries are called "Abbey style" ales.) Beautiful beer nevertheless though. I've only had Chimay Blue (aka Grand Reserve), but I'll pick up the Red (which is a dubbel) and the White (more of a tripel or golden strong ale) when my current stash is depleted. Grand Reserve is supposed to be brilliant when cellared for a year or more, but I've never had the willpower to let a 750ml bottle sit more than a week.

Duvel is brilliant. It's so smooth, light and refreshing, yet it's 8.5%. You would never notice - until about a half-hour later, at least. \:\)

Another noteworthy mention is Saison Du Pont. It's a saison, or kind of a farmhouse ale that ferments in the bottle and is aged for about three months before being shipped. It's so complex but also so refreshing an delicious. Definitely give it a try if you ever come across it.

We've got a Belgian bar in Seattle that has some of these beers on tap, and they are just incredible. Only one Belgian restaurant though, and it features high prices and the smuggest service around. Argh.

Like spook, Belgians are my favorite as well. The US comes in at a close second, with it's super hoppy beers, Belgian/US hybrid beers and crazy beers that exceed 20%.

are those monastery brews really still brewed by a couple of monks?

lots of labels have pictures of monks on them, but they have such massive production levels i think think the only connection they have to the original makers is in name only

i'm not knocking the quality of the beer (i think it's great), i just a bit cynical about the way it's marketed

Wells Banana Bread Beer - ah yes I have had some of that. And it does indeed taste and smell a bit banana-ry. Interesting taste and rather nice. It has just gone on my Required Eating & Drinking When Home list and I will have some next week.

Originally Posted By: spook
are those monastery brews really still brewed by a couple of monks?
lots of labels have pictures of monks on them, but they have such massive production levels i think think the only connection they have to the original makers is in name only
i'm not knocking the quality of the beer (i think it's great), i just a bit cynical about the way it's marketed

I think the monks are far too busy