I have been drinking a local variety of beer called Alt Beer. Alt means old, and it is apparently brewed according to an old 'top brewing' method. Don't know what that means, but is it the best dark beer I have ever had. A lot like an English mild ale, but sometimes a little sweater and other times a touch more biter. But always colder and with more head and in a smaller glass to allow faster turn over and a fresher beer in your hand (all of that is just the way I like it).

This stuff is every day brew, not fancy at all, yet seriously enjoyable beer. To me is the link between the Anglo and the Saxon. I think I have found my equilibrium. I recon any Englishman would enjoy this stuff.

I buy a different bottle each evening if I get the chance. Look for these in your local importer:

Diebels (has a green label)

Fuchschen (black label and a ceramic pop-lid)

Gatz (has a green label as well)

Frankenheim (a blue label. I think this is the most common one)

There are more, but this these are the empties I have on my sink.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
But always colder and with more head and in a smaller glass to allow faster turn over and a fresher beer in your hand (all of that is just the way I like it).

Jawohl! Schnell! Schnell!

That's good Ocean, but do you like it?

I seem to have closed in on the Diebels brand. It costs €0.80 per half litre bottle!!! Have you ever heard of quality beer so cheap? 15 years ago at university we would all get excited over the local bottle shop if they sold single 375ml stubbies of VB (bad) for A$1. We were robbed!

(Is that a patella hanging off the femur in you skull and cross bones? My memory is weak, but I am sure you had another skull icon that I also ridiculed in the past?)

I don't actually recall any brand names of German beer as it wouldn't do me the least good to remember them - there's nowhere to buy them. Anyway I don't think I've ever had a German beer that I didn't find satisfying, so brands are largely irrelevant. I'd like to be in a position to do some research though, especially at those prices. I suppose I'll have to be satisfied with matching up shochu brands with foods. (I bought an imojochu a while back called 'Tanabata'. It was disgusting. I did something I never thought I'd ever do - I poured 1/3 of the bottle down the sink. A shame because there are so many other excellent imojochu that I could have been enjoying instead.) Some of the 'premium' Japanese beers are inching towards tolerability.

There are no patellas hanging off my bones. That is a ball joint as anyone can plainly see. I made an avatar where the skull was more clearly an O and the bones obviously 1's, but it was very naff-looking so I gave up on that. I'm sure everybody on here will have spotted the representative symbolism for themselves anyway. shifty.gif

actually I looked it up for anyone interested:

Once Borrell had climbed out of the gully, he evidently stood up, back no more than a pace or two from the edge of the gully and facing down the hillside, so that Capa (who had remained in the gully) could photograph him. Just as Capa was about to press his shutter release, a hidden enemy machinegun opened fire. Borrell, hit in the head or heart, died instantly and went limp while still on his feet, as Capa's photograph shows.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/capa_r5.html

I don't get the connection between my avatar and that photo (which I had never heard of before).

Overall it is a good snxb, however it does look like a patella that is hanging off dried bit of ligament.

Quote:
Last seen drinking daddys own beer
{five poisoned over dinner}
Singing abbas mamma mia
{five poisened over dinner}
Drop dead watching thunderbirds fly
{five get over excited}
Poster on their wall says why?
{five get over excited}
The Housemartins (Topical! - includes beer)

1 out of 6 UK university dorm rooms used to be adorned with a poster of a soldier at the moment he's hit, sometimes the Capa photo, sometimes a different one, with a big, intensely thought-provoking "Why?" underneath it. The Housemartins had a politically conscious snigger about it in their song. Your avatar reminds me of it.

(I looked for it all over the Web but couldn't find it. Maybe teh Picture Masterrrr can help me?)

a 24 pack of Miller Lite 12oz cans on an American base in Germany = 22 dollars

a crate (20 bottles) of .5L local Pils or Helles at the market across from my apartment = 12 Euros

Hmmm, which is the better deal?

I love love love the German beer! However, for each half liter I drink I must do one of the following: play basketball for 30 minutes / ride 5km on my bike / lift weights for 30 minutes

After last Fridays German football match I spent the weekend riding 30km (some tough hill climbs), lifted weights for 2 hours and played ball for 4 hours. The celebratory Germans would have kept me up until 4am anyway so it was best to join in on the party!

I'm a victim of advertising. After watching TV ads for these new 'premium' beers with cold skepticism, in a fit of weakness I bought two tinnies of Asahi Prime Time last night. I thought maybe Asahi had had long enough to manage something decent.

Wrong.

The initial aroma is of wet tissue paper, and while the first taste is slightly promising, that thin, wet and widdly aftertaste characteristic of all Asahi beer is there with a vengeance in their 'prime' brew. Yuck. After I poured in a long shot of my homemade umeshu and dropped in a handful of ice it was drinkable.

The question remains what should be done with the second tinny. Perhaps I could throw it at next door's yappy dachshund.

• 4 weeks later...

I had some Waggle Dance tonight (here in Liverpool). Good it was. Asda has a corner of "posh beers" 3 for 4 pounds and I loaded up on 12 different ones. It's something called Brackspear tomorrow I reckon, as well as a few Boddies no doubt.

I remember Waggle Dance was good - my local offie had a 6 for 7 quid deal. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in again. The new summer bitters were rather nice as I recall.

I tried the Malts Premium the other night - again prompted by TV advertising. And although not 'psycho' as promised by everybody in the ad (I'm beginning to suspect these people might have been paid to say that), it was pretty good. Not something that you would want to throw at a dog, anyway.

Waggle Dance was good. There's quite a few with bees in the logo right now and the mention of honey and organic on the label.

Brackspear was nice as well, maybe a bit strong for my liking.

Tonight I'll be meeting up with pie-eater and SJ peeps for a night out in Liverpool.

Good night out the other day, a bit of a hangover yesterday. New stuff for SJ sounds great, can't wait to see it in action. \:\)

Tonight it's some Fuchschen I think then a trip down to Asda to stock up on some more.