The FOOTBALL Thread (2006-2007)

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

Surely THIS is not true:

Quote:
Argentina striker Carlos Tevez has claimed on his personal website that he will join West Ham, along with international team-mate Javier Mascherano.
eek.gif

Everyone has the story now. Wonder how they will pull that one off. Wasn't Fergie after Tevez?

------

Argentina World Cup forward Carlos Tevez claims he is about to join West Ham along with national team colleague Javier Mascherano.

The double signing would represent a massive - and expensive - coup for the Hammers if it was to come off as both players were among Argentina's most impressive performers in Germany.

A statement on Tevez's personal website: "Carlitos Tevez, along with his team-mate Javier Mascherano, signs a contract to play for West Ham United of England."

Both have been linked with Manchester United and Chelsea over the summer with Arsenal also apparently in the running to bring Tevez from Brazil.

The pair's rights are owned by Media Sports Investment, a British-based company with financial involvement in Corinthians. MSI were linked with a takeover of the Hammers last season.

Tevez and Mascherano are expected to join the east London club on a season-long loan and a permanent deal next summer is possible, either at Upton Park or elsewhere.

The Corinthians pair are in Argentina's squad for Sunday's friendly against Brazil at the Emirates Stadium.

Tevez has endured a tempestuous 18 months at Corinthians, falling out with fans and officials and claiming his life was unbearable as an Argentinian plying his trade in Brazil. After returning from the World Cup Tevez claimed he would not play for Corinthians again.

Interesting pov here:

Something Fishy About Tevez And Mascherano To West Ham Deal

August 31st, 2006 by Alan Hylands

And I’m not talking about the year’s supply of jellied eels they’ve got in front of them either. The deal to take Argentina stars Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano to West Ham United hasn’t officially been confirmed yet but football discussion forums are white hot with the news and the potential implications, not only for West Ham but for the premiership at large.

What would attract two of the world’s most sought after, young, talented international stars to Upton Park and the waiting arms of Alan Pardew? At first glance there is no logical explanation. West Ham had a great season last year after their promotion and surprised a lot of people (me included) with their classy football and solid defence that not only gave them a respectable league finish but also took them to the FA Cup Final.

I doubt that their Cup Final defeat in one of the liveliest and most enjoyable Cup Finals in many years will have been enough to tempt the two Argies though and despite having a foot in European competition with the UEFA Cup, I doubt that’s the real pulling factor either.

My suspicions lead me to a somewhat shadier deal being cooked up between the players’ club Corinthians, their owners MSI and another club with shady links to MSI and their owners. It’s long been rumoured that Roman Abramovich is the money man behind MSI and the reason that a broke Brazilian club like Corinthians could afford players like Tevez and Mascherano in the first place. It leaves no doubt in my mind that Chelsea and Roman are behind this proposed season long loan deal for the two Argentinians to West Ham and it’s only for one purpose - to acclimatise the players to London and the Premiership and see whether they are worth signing for Chelsea properly next summer.

There can be no other reason for this transfer to take place. Yes, West Ham are a good, homely club with some good players but for a club to sign Carlton Cole this summer and turn around and also get Carlos Tevez, it leaves me wondering what the motives are. I think I’ve worked out the obvious answer and it doesn’t bode well for the rest of the Premiership.

We’ve seen Chelsea’s strange buys and loan deals in the past with players like Smertin and Jarosik but this moves things to another level completely. Chelsea don’t outright own these players or their club but their guiding hand can skew the transfer market that they can prevent any of their near rivals in the top five from having these players while they park them at a safe and respectable club, close but not too close, for a season to let them mature in the English game.

Something stinks around here and the smell is increasingly eminating from Roman Abramovich’s direction.

I'll tell you what, whatever the story true or not or whether they are just being put in the show window, etc --- take a look at the West Ham team. Pretty impressive, it will be interesting to see how they can do with that team.

Guardian

11.38am: "I am on betfair and West Ham's odds for the Uefa cup and to 'finish top without the top four' are falling like pie sales in Middlesbrough while Viduka is up in Newcastle," writes Angelo.

lol.gif

Sunderland swoop on Dwight Yorke.

According to the Nesiko loving gay press:

"After thrashing out details on the final day before the English transfer window closed, Sydney and Sunderland came to agreement for what the A-League club described as an "undisclosed fee".

Sunderland had reportedly offered Yorke a $600,000 pay rise, taking his annual salary to $1.5 million. "

yorke is on his pension isnt he? keane must be living in the past.

those argentine guys will be sold on in the next transfer window for big profit. god only knows how they got them, west ham must have made up some tall stories.

Cole has gone to Chelsea for 5m + Gallas. Not a bad deal for Arsenal really as if they didnt sell him he would have probably sulked the year away.

Chelsea look too awesome on paper now, but I predict 'The Real Madrid Effect' to happen to them this year with their aging star-stuffed squad.

It was a total walkover but can't tell much because of the quality of the other team. They certainly look better than what there was before though.

Quote:
Wayne Rooney has asked for a new contract at Manchester United that, if granted, is likely to see him overtake Rio Ferdinand as the best-paid player in the club's history. His current deal does not expire until 2010 but his representatives have held preliminary negotiations with United about a wage increase to recognise his status as the club's outstanding player. Ferdinand earns £110,000 a week whereas Rooney is currently on the second tier of earners, at around the £65,000 mark.
eek.gif

I wish I had payed more attention playing football at school.

England goalkeeper Paul Robinson did not touch the ball for a total of 42 minutes 51 seconds during Saturday's stroll against Andorra. His spell of inactivity stretched from a goal-kick shortly before half-time to a picking up a pass from Ashley Cole just before full-time. (The Times)

Chelsea have made a really bitchy press release about William Gallas.

full story

I think this is really cheap. This sort of thing should be kept internal, they are just like crying little girls doing this kind of thing.