Just got some direct mail from Dell and I am really surprised at how cheap desktops are now.

59980 yen and you get:

19 inch monitor

512 MB

Celeron 325 (256KB cache, 2.53ghz)

80GB

CDRW/DVD

Is that a good a deal as it sounds?

That sounds really good, I didn't know they were down that much in price. 6 man is a fairly easy decision to make. Is that some special offer thats only available to past customers via dm then?

the problem with that configuration is that its the bare minimum needed to run pretty much any software developed in the past 2/3 years. Windows XP minimum to run is 512mb. Sure it can be run with less but you're looking at slow slow operating speeds. And who wants that? And you can forget about doing more than one thing at a time (such as listening to mp3s and using word for example. Perhaps Im being harsh but generally I steer clear of companies like Dell that use proprietary parts that can only be replaced by "approved" Dell technicians, costing an arm and a leg in the process

You are right scouser, but many peope make that mistake of only buying a basic pc for websurfing and basic stuff, then later when they want to try other things that require more power, they find they cant do them. Thus requiring an expensive upgrade/replacement.

Well they should think about these things before they buy shouldn't they? Simple!

If it's someone like my parents or my g/f, these things are perfect. And a 19 inch screen for that cash sounds pretty good too.

I got my missus a cheap desktop thinking she wouldn't need anything more powerful. But she gets frustrated at how slowly it does everything, and an extra 30 thou for ease of use would have been good value.

Fattwins, have a look at this (no screen - that would bring it up to your price or a bit more).

http://www.tsukumo.co.jp/bto/jade203_dt2_2.html

Its too bad you lived in Japan.

but in the states, during Thanksgiving or Xmas Eve

Dell have specials. last year it was for

17in LCD monitor

P4 2.6ghz

512mb

40gig

dvd burner

printer

for $490 including shipping

If you don't mind paying international shipping charges, here are several great sites to find the best price and deals on computers , home stuff and anything you can think of.

http://www.slickdeals.net/

http://www.bensbargains.net/

I would stay away from celeron chips, they don't have enough cache and they are slow as a mule!

VIV & KEV:

We've got 4 dells, and they are great. One had a small prob after about 2 years or use, so then sent us a new hard disk and CD unit.

If you have any options go for the extra service plans (2-3 years insurance etc). They are really good with support and replacement.

Viv&Kev.

It really depends on what you want to do with the PC. If you just need to do some basic stuff, I think it would be a good one but as others have said, if you need to do something which needs more power, it might be a good choice.

In my opinion, you can have some plural computers for purposes.