The world's best kept secrets. Riverland oranges. lol.gif

Carnarvon bananas :rolleyes:

Canned sliced peaches in syrup vomit-smiley-016.gif

It's a good thing that Australia doesn't export these, because the solar system's (if not the southern hemisphere's) fruit growers are going to be ruined.

Water use in Australia, in Gigalitres

.....Irrigation Urban/industrial Rural Total use

New South Wales 8,643 1,060 _305 10,008

Victoria_______ 4,451 __987 _339 5,777

Queensland _____2,978 _1,052 561 4,591

Western Australia 710 _1,027 _59 1,796

South Australia __819 ___292 _53 1,164

Tasmania _________276 ___186 __9 __471

Northern Territory 53 ____87 _39 __179

ACT ________________5 ____63 __4 ___72

Total _________17,935 _4,754 1,369 24,0582

Sorry about the formatting but this BB won't accept tabs. Remember Oz peeps. The next time your local (or national) politician witters on about Australia's Water Crisis, it doesn't matter how much you save or waste. 75% of Australia's fresh water gets poured on the ground to grow, amongst other things, rubbish fruit.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> do they have farmers markets here?

Not the sort of lavish affairs you get in other countries, but at tourist traps, Michi no Eki, and now many supermarkets there are often corners with fresh local produce, usually with the farmer's name on it. The prices are generally lower reflecting less distance traveled and less handling.

> Do you mean that Japanese people expect to pay a high price for certain things as they are symbols of 'high quality living'? Or that they expect high quality fruit?

It's not 'symbols of 'high quality living'', it's a fair price for the labour involved in growing it. Fruit production is not mechanized, and the farmers need to cover their costs and have some money left over for little luxuries like booze and visits to the anma for a massage. There are dire problems with Japanese agriculture, but high prices are a true reflection of the real costs of production. You can get cheaper stuff from China, but the environment is bearing the cost, as are the underpaid Chinese labourers.

Having seen all the wonderful imported variety (and all the fat people) in the UK, I'm quite content with what you can get here. My seed catalogues have lots of varieties of all the basics, and indeed my local DIY store offers about 5 varieties each of tomato plants, goya, cucumber and whatever, so I don't feel deprived.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
The world's best kept secrets. Riverland oranges. lol.gif

Carnarvon bananas
Soub, I never said world's best! ;\)

But, mate, northern WA fruit kicks arse on most fruit I have had here. Paw paw, mangoes, watermelons, just to name a few, are awesome.
  • 2 weeks later...

Ohyakusho san means farmers. We used to use this word. I don't know since when but it became one of discriminatory words and can't use this in public places anymore.

By the way, I made marron cream last night. A lot of rum in it, very easy and very good.

Fresh figs with sour cream and marron cream are my favorite autumn desserts now. \:\)

Maybe it's taboo in Tokyo. In Ehime where there are still 'hundreds' of us, everybody says 'o-hyakusho-san'.

Marron cream and figs sounds good. The brown/purple figs are at their heavenly best about now.

Ive been eating loads of grapes recently. Daimaru has them on sale so have stocked up on several packs.

It would be nice if you could eat the skin of more fruits in Japan. I love apple/grape skins but theyre just too thick and often waxy. Bummer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:

It would be nice if you could eat the skin of more fruits in Japan. I love apple/grape skins but theyre just too thick and often waxy. Bummer.
are you serious?

you big softy lol.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
slow, packs of figs with 8 fresh, juicy ones are selling for 150 yen in my local Hatomart. I wonder how much they'd be in the Big Smoke...
Here around Shibuya, packs of 5 figs are between 350-500yen.