powwwers, you're not still peddling that "Fit for Life" bollocks about when you're allowed to eat fruit are you? Oh right, you are. Don't encourage him Yamakashi.

powwwers, are your eyes and skin bright and glowing? Mine are dull and lifeless because I eat my fruit whenever I damn well please. Muwahahahaha!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Ehime we have all sorts of mikan which taste pretty miserable when they're shipped to other parts of the country but taste divine when fresh (I noticed the same about apples when I was in Nagano). Dekopon are probably my favourite type.

We also have water melon, kiwi, figs, persimmon, and grapes.

These are all produced locally, and are inexpensive compared with other less tasty hazardously sweet foods.

Then there are the grapes imported from Chile, the oranges from California, and the bananas from Ecuador, none of which I buy.

When I eat fruit, I generally eat it after other, 'complex' foods, and according to powwwers but contrary to experience, science, and common sense, I run the risk of it rotting inside me. The only problem I have with rotting and fruit is when the citrus peels overwhelm my garden composting capacity.

interesting. wish i'd read this before i ate my nashi & grapes for dessert.

funny what was said about guava fights, my bro's & i used to have mango fights back home, all i can remember is how stinky they were.

& my nana & all her neighbours have persimmon trees, wish i liked them as she was forever giving me buckets full of them.

At my Hawaii house there are way too many mango's to eat and they just drop on the back yard. Behind my house is a valley with no houses so I often gather up a basket of mangos and take out my 5 iron and practice my golf stroke. I've punished a couple of drivers as well. But what the hell, it's free and doesn't hurt the environment. If I let the mango's sit on the the yard I get choke (ippai/many) insects coming to dine and I don't care for that too much.

> eat your fruit any freaking way youd like

Sure, no problem, I will. But what's this mumbo-jumbo about 'putrefaction' and 'elimination cycles'? Wouldn't it be safer just to put the fruit straight down the toilet and cut out the middleman?

The trouble is, you and powwwers are talking jibberish as though it were fact, and then evading the issue of being wrong by saying 'hey, it's just what we do'. If it's just what you do, fine, but don't get your nice clean intestines in a bunch when somebody points out that you're talking crap.

You really believe that aeons of evolution have resulted in a human digestive system that can't get the vitamins out of a piece of apple if there happens to be a maggot in it? Ppffft.

lol.gif

No, I dont belive that O11. Stop being so cynical all the time. Could it possibly be that your body uses the vitamins and minearals of fruits and vegetables better if you havent eaten rather than if you had eaten a full meal?

And, I did read it in a exercise and nutrition book in Uni. So, Im not just saying its what we do.

What? You want links? You want proof Ocean? Google it then. Prove me wrong.

The word you're looking for is skeptical, not cynical. Cynical is when you make a bunch of money off people by frightening them into believing that food is rotting in their stomachs.

Yes, I want proof (not testimonials from gulls) please.

As for "Fit for Life", check out http://www.chasefreedom.com/fitforlife.html and Google the author to find out who she is.

> Content of next post is fairly predictable..................

Go on then, make your prediction knucklehead.

Congratulations Yamakashi. You can now eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches for breakfast without fear of putrefaction and debilitating weakness. That must be a relief eh?

mate, you know it! I love those sandwiches too! Saturday morning, after my run, its on like donkey kong! Then, loads of sake \:D

O11, seriously, I understand your position and the sides of that argument; but, I agree with the other side. As for "Fit for Life," Ive never heard of it, nor read it. So, that author doesnt mean squat to me. I trusted my dieticians (spelling) from Uni. They helped me average 80-100 miles/week running.

You're still missing the point.

Your fruit habits may not do you any harm. You may be able to maintain those habits and stay very fit. But there's no science behind either your habit or your assertions or what your dieticians told you. Who knows how much better you might have done on a scientifically based diet? I can still bike up a hill pretty fast at 3 am after a night of rum and cigars. Am I to assume that the rum and cigars contribute to my stellar performance?

It may not mean squat to you that a qualified dietician says that combining fruit with other food actually enhances uptake of nutrients. But that says more about you than about my 'cynicism'.

So please forgive me if I pipe up with "Bollocks!" every time somebody asserts that fruit must not be eaten with anything else.

Hi Ocean,

I could finally buy some fresh figs from Ehime last night! They are really good! Usually they are sold out by evening and I have sighed in front of empty box several times.

I like to eat fruits with yogurt for breakfast. Peach and yogurt is very good, Kaki and yogurt is also very good.

Excellent news slow. I'm sure the farmers here will be pleased to know that their humble produce has satisfied a sophisticated Edokko.

I too am in an empty box situation at the moment. I'll have to go down to my local JA Hatomart and get a few more. There are now kaki in the shops but they're still a bit hard for my taste.

Nah, it's being developed tastefully. UH is puting in a huge medical facility (one strory building) and the other developments are leaving plenty of room for parks, etc. I'm on the Ala Moana side. As it was, Kaka'ako was an industrial eye sore anyway. It was a sooner or later thing that was bound to happen. Have you been to Kaka'ako beach park? Pretty nice place to have a picnic! (Again, sorry folks, way off subject).

I can post links to O11,

http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/fruit-article.html

http://www.coej.org/Medical/eating_fruits.html

Ill concede that it may not matter whether or not you eat fruit on an empty stomach or not; and, if that is the best way...

The way I look at it, tracing our ancestors back thousands of years, we use to be hunters and gatherers; so, most likely, we use to eat fruit straight off the vine/tree/bush whatever. Meaning that we ate it when we had the chance. We might have collected some to take back and eat later, but lacking a refrigerator to keep it in it might not have lasted very long...hence, we ate fruits when we were on a walk, looking for prey, or going for a slash. Which would mean we were probably hungry and just didnt finish eating a mammoth.

You still havent convinced me...

Oh dear, more bollocks. Very obvious bollocks.

"So if you eat fruit after a meal, the fruit sugar will stay for too long in the stomach and ferment. This is why people experience digestive trouble when eating fruit that way. They then blame that particular fruit for their trouble and claim that they are “allergic” to it."

That would be very persuasive if it were true. But it isn't. How many people do you hear saying that sort of thing, especially those who eat an otherwise healthy diet?

"Let's say you eat two slices of bread and then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it is prevented from doing so."

Poor slice of fruit!

If ... only ... this ... bread ... WOULD GET OUT THE ****ING WAY!!

And you know all about prehistoric man and his fruit eating habits do you? Are you serious? (Did you know that mammoths were such easy prey for early man that their skulls were used for building houses? So chances are, there was some mammoth jerky to go with that fruit...) But even if your Flintstones fantasy was actually spot on, it doesn't change the fact that fruit never ferments in your stomach. If the interaction with bread was as is claimed, then I would be burping and farting and complaining of all my fruit allergies. But I'm not. Now why is that do you think?

Youre right. Oh my god, you are so right!!! What a ****in **** I am! I dont eat fruit alone on an empty stomach!!! \:o

Ive been making smoothies all along! Geeze, what a tool I am. I have been mixing fruit this entire time and not even knowing it \:\)

And you know all about prehistoric man and his fruit eating habits do you? Are you serious?Yes, I have my own time machine, I just chose not to tell everybody until now.

"If the interaction with bread was as is claimed, then I would be burping and farting and complaining of all my fruit allergies. But I'm not. Now why is that do you think?"

Well, thats probably because you cant shut up long enough to build up the required pressure it takes to build up a fart, just like a woman... ;\)