Things I don't like in songs...

...with no exceptions I can think of:

- whistling;

- harmonica;

- brass sections;

- slide guitar.

Just so annoying. If I heard something good with the above in them I'd give it a chance. Just haven't heard any. Any others?

wow, youd take out Blues Traveler, Allman Bros, Derek Trucks, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones just to name a few of my favorites cuz of those restrictions - too bad. To each their own right shifty.gif \:\)

I just hate country music - hate might be strong but I always feel like somebodys scraping their fingernails along a blackboard when i hear it... eek.gif

If you mean the kind of in your face saxophone you get on pop records from the late 70s to 80s, I can understand. Sade's first album is a good example. Lots of shite like Spandau Ballet has it too. Used properly though, horns are fantastic. Even if you don't like jazz, funk or latin music, accessible stuff like Madness and other proto-ska is way better than ordinary pop.

For harmonica, you've Stevie Wonder on Chaka Khan's version of "I Feel For You" (it's originally by Prince) and "Stone Fox Chase" by Area Code 615, best known as the theme to the Old Grey Whistle Test. Both are epic tunes.

On the whole, little kids singing does nothing for me. "Another Brick in the Wall" would be a well-known example. The Clash rerecorded "Career Opportunities" with kids singing on it, but it pales compared to the original.

well, i really like harmonica and slide guitar, but i guess that has to do with what music i like listening to (folky, alt country stuff).

i really like hand claps in songs too. hand claps are good

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:

I just hate country music - hate might be strong but I always feel like somebodys scraping their fingernails along a blackboard when i hear it... eek.gif
About country music, someone once said that you have to experience at least 2 divorces to really appricieate it.

in the late 80's and early 90's i tried hard to become a succesfull photographer (with little luck). i took some great classes and learned a lot. One of my problems was that i always tried to imagine what my picture should look like before i even went to whatever event or location i was supposed to cover.
My point is, if you set up rules on which "tools" the artist can use you limit yourself, Wiggle's examples are - once again spot on!
BTW, Mr Wiggles, i found that "Expensive Shit" album you posted a picture of in another tread. What a great album, thanks \:\)
Can we do a "Mr Wiggles' top 50 tread" one day?

I would have to agree with Yama, I hate country music also. In a town near were I used to live they had a week long country music festival.

Was a good time to get out of town.(Damn, that sounds like a country song).

I don't know me jane, that Weezer song with the muppets in it was cool!!! \:D

And don't be dissin the banjo, goddamn city slickers! I remember one Beck song off Midnite Vultures that had some mean banjo in it.

ohh, another music post :rolleyes:

Quote:
lots of shite like Spandau Ballet has it too.
 Quote:
you`re allowed to not like something, but not liking something doesn`t make it shite!

me, i like:

whistling- Johnny Cash/Jack Johnson

harmonica- G. Love/Dylan

brass sections- Rancid/Beck/Reel Big Fish/WPA

slide guitar- Ben Harper/Zaxier Rudd/Jeff Buckley

oh, and i also like tha banjo- The Band

lol ;\)

I was looking through my collection and found something interesting.

Probably about 95% of all the CDs I have are male vocals.

Before I heard Losing My Religion I would probably have said anything with mandolin in is crap. Love that song though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:

BTW, Mr Wiggles, i found that "Expensive Shit" album you posted a picture of in another tread. What a great album, thanks \:\)
Can we do a "Mr Wiggles' top 50 tread" one day?
There are many Fela Kuti albums from around 1975. They're all pretty good. It was his golden period.

I'm pleased you like my recommendations but fifty?! eek.gif eek.gif

Powwers
It's best to be open-minded like you probably mean, and it takes all colours to make the world. I've also got no intention of stopping someone expressing themself and/or communicating something to satisfy a creative muse within them. However, I don't feel that self-expression is the sole purpose of packaged pop music. Major considerations seem to be fame and money. Once people choose that path, they have to accept whatever criticism comes their way. As many artists have shown, it's perfectly possible to be mainstream and commercially successful without being overly packaged or having a compromised sound.

Trying to get this back on topic, how about classical versions of pop music as another unnecessary exercise? The Philharmonic plays the Beatles hits or whatever.

> how about classical versions of pop music as another unnecessary exercise? The Philharmonic plays the Beatles hits or whatever.

My sister pretty much makes her living doing that (substitute Beeb concert orchestra for the Phil). I've been invited to go but somehow have never been tempted.

Can we make an important distinction here between the harmonica (used extensively for supermarket music) and the harp please? For sheer virtuosity, S. Wonder shall be allowed to play the harmonica, but anybody should best refrain and try the harp instead.

Wiggles, Fela Kuti is new territory for me, but speaking of horn section, That "Water no get enemy" song, has a groovy horn setup, with that baryton sax at the bottom it can get me happy anytime!

I have had a retro 80's pop period lately, and i did find the old Spandau ballet records, but must agree (once again) tith you wiggles, that it is not very good, a bit of nostalgia though.

Quite opposite is the "Lexicon of Love" album from ABC, wow!!!!!!! what an album, gotta love it

Sorry a bit off topic

looking forward to a few (any number) recommendations to come out from the green door

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:

Trying to get this back on topic, how about classical versions of pop music as another unnecessary exercise? The Philharmonic plays the Beatles hits or whatever.
Ugh - I can't bear that stuff. No offense to your sister, Ocean. I'm glad she can make a living out of it as long as I don't have to listen to it.

And puleez, no Richard Clayderman.

Those who don't like horn sections should check out some salsa music, you might change your mind.

Wiggles, I wanted to go see those dual piano salsa players, but it's till too far ahead for me to book in case I have to work. By the time I try it'll probably be booked out....