That other thread those kind people at the British Potato Society started just got me thinking....

I've never seen any drunken brawls here in Japan - ever. Not once. I don't frequent Roppongi, and other main entertainment areas here so I don't know if anything like that goes down. It sure doesn't where I have been.

Is there any/much fighting going on? (Coming from England where there is often a fight late night in clubbing areas, I'm interested to know..)

Have seen more than a faor share in Roppongi, usually drunken GI`s engaging in testosterone fuelled macho crap.

In Narita due to the large influx of Gaijin on a daily basis there are sometimes some brawls at watering holes. Just last year two gaijin got in an altercation and one was stabbed to death. We also had a bit of a hows your father with the local Yakuzza here, one heady summer night during Gion festival the tight permed, terrible track suit sporting mobsters came to our local bar and demanded the usual obligatory "whatever" money for the year. Happens every year, and this one year the bar owner and staff just got fed up and opted for non payment. Smashing of tables ensued but the bar in question is run by an ex Irish boxer and a couple of sturdy mexicans....the result, tails between legs Yakuzza running off yelling curses as they fled!! Very amusing :rolleyes: \:D :p

I used to work at a restaurant opposite a park in the main drinking area of town. This park was a meeting spot for local yanki/chimpira wannabes, every weekend there would be brawls and every weekend my boss would call the cops.

I also saw a taxi driver get punched in the head at the lights, that was pretty funny. The taxi had cut this guy off so I thought that was fair enough. Maybe it should happen more often and taxi drivers might improve their driving.

Quote:
Originally posted by sakebomb:
I also saw a taxi driver get punched in the head at the lights, that was pretty funny. The taxi had cut this guy off so I thought that was fair enough.
If your wife ever cuts me off at the lights then I am going to punch her lights out.

Seems fair enough.
 Quote:
Originally posted by 2pints,mate:
Yes Japan does have quite a few good points....

What do you call "yobbos" in Japan?
Gaigin? ;\)

Saw some in Hiroshima and, again, it was mainly the GIs out on a night on the town. Ive met some really nice GIs but there always seem to be a few rotten ones.

Funny how Eng. teachers here never seem to fight. Guess cuz were too busy tryin to get the women instead of fighting over them lol.gif

Have seen the Yaks get into it and have had 2 incidents with them meself.

Maybe two years ago in Hiroshima a GI was shot by a chinpira in Nagarekawa eek.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by 2pints,mate:
SubZero, is that gaijin you mean or is it another word I've not heard of that sounds scarily similar and means yobbo?! (I presume the former..... surely!)
Oops, I misspelt it! Yes, the same - it was a nudge, nudge, wink, wink comment.

My friends taped a fight in roppongi about 10 years ago. Vicious attack by a group of Japanese guys on an Black dude. There were like 6 black dudes trying to stop them too. I think that they were scared to do anything because they were most likely illegals. The Japanese guys stomped on his head so many times.

Violence like this is bad.

About 12 years ago I was an amped up resident of a university residential college that saw itself as a bit of a 'club'. We were always getting heavy with the other colleges, usually on the sports field but sometimes outside bars. I had my 'opposite' at one of the colleges and we were always trading testosterone. One night we crossed paths outside a bar, he and his friend threw a few insults from what they thought was a safe distance. I followed them down the road, caught them and in the space of about 5 frenzied punches that I hardly remember this poor guy was lying literally in the gutter. His mate was standing in shock, I let out a victory cry and legged it back to the pub to tell my story. Next day I got a phone call, the guy was in hospital, really broken up face. I was in big trouble with his wealthy parents. They were going to bring the law down on me. I left a meeting with the parents and the police carrying a bag of his expensive private school kind of Ralph Lauren clothes that I had to dry-clean. They were utterly plastered in blood all down the front to the trouser cuffs. My mates egged me on so of course wore them into the college dinning room that night and was told to leave by the college manager when he saw me. Nothing ever came of the legal action and I never replaced the clothes. I feel very disgusted at my behaviour as a 20 year old. All my mates at the time were in fights, every month there was some violent brawl outside the local pub. Some of these guys were really big and went really hard. I was/am not a big guy so would just go the frenzy approach as I had been decked a few times by bigger guys and didn't enjoy lying on my back with a blood nose and seeing stars. So my tactic was to go in like that Tasmanian Devil looney tunes character. I am appalled now at the violence that we thought was 'cool'. That poor guy never deserved what he got, no matter how many insults he gave me.

The last time drunken brawling crossed my path I literally ran away (after wearing a head but in the face thanks to some English guy). That was years ago and I would do the same now.

Violence is a shameful habit of drunken men. Or immature sober men.

I helped break a huge brawl up in Roppongi two years ago. Some Africans and some Italians were having a serious throw down, right outside the New York pub (or something like that).

I took a couple shots to the ribs, but luckily, a few other strangers joined in trying to break things up. We got things cleared before the police showed up. Not a great welcome on my first night in Tokyo!

Fighting is stupid and ignorant. Unless it's during a rugby game \:\)

Saw an fight in Niigata on Saturday. I was quite shocked, first time I'd seen anything though still probably quite tame compared to a good fight overseas. lol.gif

Over a woman it seems started off with 2 lads then the gangs moved in ended up about 10 of them.

have to say its one of the best things about japan, that not matter how drunk everyone gets, the threat of violence isnt there, in some places back home, u can almost smell the anger and fights are just so common.

It is one of the biggest reasons why i hate my pikey filled shitty little furusato back in old england and why i am not looking forward to leaving japan this summer and heading back there!!!

Only fights i have seen were at a festival between two blokes and their mates, and was over a girl but the festival was called `fire and violence` in japanese so seemed to fit!!!

I know when I go back to England I always feel a little wary, at least at first, going out. Got to get back in the UK mode.