Top 10 Restaurants....in the WORLD

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, just turned to a rondom Swedish guy a few desks down from me: "what do you think of English bread?" He simply screwed up his face, said "I don't like it much". A kiwi piped up with "same here". I am not making this up.

Sorry to have ever mentioned bread, sorry to your mum if I insulted her bread.

I am tired of talking about bread.

I have learnt something about your bread pride. I didn't know that before.

I'm not proud of English bread. I don't make the stuff, never have, never will, so why would I be proud of it? I made my comment because I simply thought 34 guests was wildly off target. Nothing nationalist, nothing personal.

Having eaten bread in lots of European countries, I think the best they have to offer doesn't match the best English bread, and the range available is not as wide either. I agree entirely about Japanese bread, spot-on comment, but not about English bread. That and beer are the 2 things that I really enjoy about going back.

A half way to nothing comment, but the bread that I have eaten here is indeed better than the bread that I have eaten there, if one had to choose.

(and for what is is worth [a platitude no doubt] I just spent the afternoon at a bar I had not been to before. Great range of beers and excellent tasty eating food. The bar itself is also pretty bloody nice. The Flask, Highgate).

My favourite taste of home, Lions Midget Gems and Sport Mixtures, have just been bought out by Maynards. There were a staple of any northern upbringing when sweets came by the quarter in a little paper bag. Just to show that nothing is sacred in Blair's corporate Britain, they've already replaced the sublime liquorice one with some crappy sounding blackcurrant concoction. Give them a year and they'll probably be as limp and crappy as Maynards wine gums.

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

\:\( \:\( \:\( \:\(

Not that my opinion matters on this topic, but it is fun to see people other than Americans beating up on each other for once!

The pomp and circumstance of popular restaurants is so unappealing to me...... I was surprised to see the British leading in the list, however. From what I've heard and my pre-conceived notions, I thought British food sucked. Yet, I haven't been there, so I really have no opinion.

Arguing about French vs English or German or Japanese cuisine is like scrapping about the best bbq in the US - Houston or Dallas or Phoenix or LA - there is no point - it's all personal preference.

I've eaten great food in Holland, Germany, Austria, France, Japan, Hawaii, Mexico the lower 48 and now Alaska. Notice, I left Canada out. I mean, gravy and taters are good, but c'mon \:D

These rankings are bs. I can't wait to travel south of the equator to try some of their fairs. In the meantime, I'll enjoy this caribou steak and just wait and see what Europe bitches about next \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by curt: You might find a few more things on a menu oo.
I think they were fair questions posted by oo,
Sounds like someone is a bit defensive! ;\)

What is American food? wakaranai.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
Notice, I left Canada out. I mean, gravy and taters are good, but c'mon \:D
the food in quebec city and montreal is pretty good and helped with some fabulous settings and bustling patios.

the quebecois do bread rather nicely too.

American food: I'm not being sarcastic or trying to offend curt but the reality is there are few American foods. As everybody knows, hamburgers and hot dogs. Pizza (the American kind) and fast food have touched a good portion of the globe. Regionally, I would give cajun food it's props as well as tex-mex, submarine sandwiches, California rolls (American sushi). I'm keeping Hawaiian cuisines out of this as I support sovereignty (a whole'nuther issue) I'm sure other's who could name some other local dishes to the list of edible American food but as a nation, our good foods are mostly imported from other cultures or just non-existant. In other words, McDonald's is not a bragging right. But that's our sorry contribution. Sorry Curt, if I've hurt you (as a fellow American).

Going overboard again Kintaro?

You seem to have got totally the wrong end of the stick here, buddy. (I'm not sure what you thought I meant, perhaps a re-read might help you out.)

dont' forget pretzels - I enjoyed having giant hot pretzels from street vendors in New York in the middle of winter. (well they were giant to me, when the only pretzels I'd ever seen before then were the tiny ones you buy in packages.

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
dont' forget pretzels - I enjoyed having giant hot pretzels from street vendors in New York in the middle of winter. (well they were giant to me, when the only pretzels I'd ever seen before then were the tiny ones you buy in packages.
NY urban food has loads of taste and character which adds to the fabric of the city. From breakfast diners serving those vulgar ;\) grits to everything Sunshine mentions, including the exceptional slices of pizza that are always on the go. I love being out and about in NY streets and neighbourhoods as you will always have a good food time. I have also had some very good seafood/fish soup in NY, dunno why I remembered that.

I am guessing it will be another adaptation of the Anglo Saxon food base, but I really I don't know much more about food in America. I have heard people rave about how much fun eating in San Francisco can be. By all accounts it is a great place to be.

And another goal scored for London: The Queens Hotel in Primrose Hill. Very enjoyable bar and food. So I had two winners in a weekend, not bad.

From what I have experienced and heard from others serving sizes in the U.S tend to be huge. I like my eats but even I was left struggling on more than one occasion eek.gif

ah, did someone mention San Francisco? been ages since I was back to my hometown, so I don't know what's good now, but this should get you started:

http://www.sfgate.com/food/

One the dishes I miss the most has to be the $5 burritos we used to buy in the Mission (always with extra avocado and sour cream)...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dims:
From what I have experienced and heard from others serving sizes in the U.S tend to be huge. I like my eats but even I was left struggling on more than one occasion eek.gif
Every restaurant I went to in the States back in March I couldnt eat half the food... eek.gif :rolleyes: