I just heard a story from one of my Japanese friends about a student at a school I used to work before.

The boy is now 12 and it seems that he hasn't been to school for 2 years! Why? "Because he doesn't like it?" eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

Seems that his parents 'can do nothing' (shikata ga nai, maybe!), but seems he plays videogames and sleeps every day - and NEVER goes to school.

Can you believe that?? Supposedly quite a few kids recently like this. Anyone else know more on situations like that

Yeah childhood is supposed to be enjoyed, before you reach school and have to do the exam hell (whatever...) and then join a company, get married and wear your apron to the supermarket and let your kids hit you. I mean if you cant enjoy your childhood then when can you enjoy it. Anyway its the schools responsibility not the parents to make sure that the kids are being brought up properly.... and you wonder why Japan has such problems...

I don't have kids, but I'm sure I'd be stronger with mine than they seem to be in Japan. Someone told me that children here can do "what they want" until they enter shogakko at 6, without being controlled or punished. Is that the common thinking?

It all depends on the family. Some parents are very strict and controlling. Others won't discipline their children at all and are a complete nuisance to everybody around. Most fall somewhere in between.

Our playschool keeps on sending out letters saying things like "At the upcoming event, make sure that you don't let your pre-school toddlers toddle everywhere (like you did last time)." I know people whose lives are dominated by the whims of 3-year olds because they somehow think they shouldn't make the case for adult control. This kind of foolishness is very conspicuous, but it's not really the norm.

Smacked bottoms anyone?

Japanese parenting is pathetic!

The mums that just let their kid scream wild in the supermarkets and stores without even looking at them.

What happened to the good ol smack on the bum?

Japanese parents are too frikkin scared to do shyait.

Then the kids rule them. Boys especially are very very messed up in the head.

8 -12year olds sleeping with their parents, mums letting the boys fondle their breasts....

Just too frikin weird 4 me!

I have a little bub on the way in a few more months, so if its any thing like i was i am going to have to stock up on wooden spoons!!! confused.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

Japanese parenting is pathetic!

The mums that just let their kid scream wild in the supermarkets and stores without even looking at them.

What happened to the good ol smack on the bum?

Japanese parents are too frikkin scared to do shyait.

Then the kids rule them. Boys especially are very very messed up in the head.

8 -12year olds sleeping with their parents, mums letting the boys fondle their breasts....

Just too frikin weird 4 me!

I have a little bub on the way in a few more months, so if its any thing like i was i am going to have to stock up on wooden spoons!!! confused.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

• 2 weeks later...

It happens in Australia too.

Quite often I am tempted to give some little shyte a smack up the back of the head.

Typical scene:

Child pulls stuff off supermarket shelf

Parent say "Thats naughty Jimmy, I don't want you to do that again"

Child runs off and pulls more stuff of shelf

Parent say "Thats naughty Jimmy, I don't want you to do that again"

Raury walks past and accidently knock child while trying to retrieve something off the shelf "sorry" - NOT