I need to sleep about 8 hours per night or I am just dull and out of it.

Other people I know only need 6 hours per night...more than that, they don't even want.

It seems to me that this is unfair, because every day they get 2 hours more of waking life than I do.

Do the math, and this is 30 days extra per year!!

UNFAIR.

They have a better quantity of life than I do...

\:\(

it adds up.

i need my sleep, normally catch up on Zz's on the weekend. but at the moment im feeling seriously tired and i have to stay up another hour for a phone interview for uni. who on earth wants an interview at 12am.

confused.gif

i need 8 hours too, and my brain will often take 9 or 10 if it thinks it can get away with it. i think it all works on a battery charge kinda system - i used to go a few days on a 3 or 4 hours a night then need to fill up with a good 14 hourer. so theoretical im just fully charged all the time now... but i think i must still be using nicad technology and im suffering from battery memory, so i dont work so good now. i guess i need to drain the battery down to zero a few times to spark some life back into it.

need to get me one of those fast charge lithium type bodies. anyone know where u can pick one up? akihabara?

wow! badmig! you need 8 hours huh well sorry to give you the badnews but it seems you are not only losing quantity but also you are losing out on quality!!! 6-7 hours is better than 8 see here are the facts! you dont need 8! namby pamby do-gooders for years have been extolling the virtues of 8 hours admonishing those who get less yet after research it seems 8 hours shortens your life!

we all need sleep but these researchers have found that there is a threshold for sleep where sleep becomes detrimental rather than beneficial, and that threshold is 6-7 hours, Sorry badmig dude not only are you losing time everyday but you are chipping away time at the end of your innings too. double whamy dude.

we who sleep less have more time everyday and more time at the end

yelclap.gif

For a long time I fooled myself too and believed the 8hour propaganda and felt guilty for getting less sleep but not now reading this article gave me alot of satisfaction! I dont need this magical figure of 8 yippee kai aye!

In Japan I sleep less than I did before because of changed lifestyle but it hasnt had adverse effects on my health, I am in tip top shape and get 6.5 - 7 hours a day!

reminds me of a classic song. "ti-ai-aime is my side yes it is....."

Nice try kamoshika, but my 8 hour need doesn't come from something I read, it's what I find I need to function right!

If I don't get about 7:45 or 8:00, then forget it. I am slow and tired and definitely need a nap!

Believe me, I've tried all ways and combinations. Student, athlete, lawyer, loafer, company man, night work.

After 40 years, I know. I need the 8!

Now if this is going to shorten my life, that is even MORE unfair!!!

NOTE:

It is possible that I am sleeping badly, so the total bedroom time is 8 hours but the total sleep time is less. I snore pretty loudly and probably suffer from sleep apnea, which can lower the quality of one's sleep and make one tired throughout the day...

MY NOTHER NOTE:

I'd love to see the demographic analysis of the million people tested in the sleep study to which you link. Do you think it is possible that people who had things to do, jobs to go to etc. normally slept 6-7 hours, but loafers, idle rich and losers who could afford 8+ hours a night managed to statistically off themselves through a coalescence of lifestyle patterns (e.g., more binge drinking, more snowboarding/skiing with disreputable friends, more recreational drug use, irresponsible thrill-seeking and ill-advised sexual choices?

If that is indeed the case, I wonder which group has the better quality of life...

\:D

Quote:
Originally posted by mikazooki:
need to get me one of those fast charge lithium type bodies. anyone know where u can pick one up? akihabara?
zooks you need to evolve your current body into one of those with the patented "Kamoshika kickass body enhancer Kit" available for the low low price of $99.95.

but seriously excercise hard most days, whether its swimming, stairmachine, jogging, cycling, weights, whatever go hard.
cut out the smokes if you smoke.
reduce the booze, not totally cut but tone it down.
Try spirilina, nature superfood.
eat well, good food, not too much "gomi" food
Get regular action with good lady ;\)
No coffee, buts lot of "cha"

do all this and you will see and fell the benefits and you will sleep like a baby all night for 7hours!
the extra sleep is your body trying to deal with the extra strains of nicotine, alcohol and poor diet etc (maybe, that one's just a theory and is open for debate)

Kamoshika, you are onto something with the alcohol there!

Sometimes it seemed I was floating in an ocean of it...I blame Mogski and also those shiny t-back g-strings I would sometimes see on the booted/miniskirted gals at the dance clubs.

I blame society!!

I need a solid 8 hours, but i'm happier with more, about 9 or 10.

But i have a terrible diet, aweful, So if your right kamo that could well be contributing to my need for lots of sleep. It always takes me a while to get going in the morning as well.

cant be the nic or the alcohol for me as dont do either,but aside from riding to work and increasingly sporadic yoga sessions, i dont get much exercise. i keep trying to start it up, but find unless im in a good mood i never get amped enough. i prefer to get exercise from an active life than doing it for its own sake, but life here isnt proving conducive, and im skulking around being a bit low key of late.

my diet is ma-ma, so i guess its time to dose up the fruitage, and get out of this manky dark house.

i bought a new t-shirt today (now i have 2!), so maybe i should celebrate by buffing up the bod to go inside.

tomorrow is the day when i will start a new life full of vigour and sprite ;\) cant wait \:D

Kamoshika, this was the first time I've heard your less sleep theory. I'm stoked if it's correct, I've never been able to sleep more than 5 hours in a day.

Guys, read the study, it doesn't prove anything. They even say so. Unless you know why a correlation exists, it is meaningless. There is just an apparant correlation. That means nothing unless there is a logical link between the two events.

How many times have you heard something like this (and they are all verifiable and correct, just rubbish correlations):

"For the last 100 years, every year, if it rains on the second Monday of June then the underdog team will win the grand final".

Would you bet on that and think you had a robust theory to back you up?

I do however like Kamo's thoughts on good living and quality sleep. They are something that I still have as a goal. Cutting out the grog is like being re-born. I feel younger today at 30 (seldom drink) than I did at 25 (4 nights week, if it got me out of it, I was on it). Exercise is also wonderful, I miss it since teh snow melted.

Bad-grain sound like me. I need 8 hours. When I do I am alive and strong. The mental activity is in full flight and I am better person to be around for everyone (even myself).

Good sleep is worth so much in a good life. In fact, I would take 5 hours of quality deep uninterrupted snooze over my usual 10 slumber that I lust after.

Well that article sure convinced me! :rolleyes: I don't think you can take anything from those statistics. There are so many factors that play into death other than amount of sleep you get. Has there ever been a study to show if people with brown eyes live longer than blue? I am sure the results would be mind boggling.

Anyway, I have noticed I can funtion fine with 6 hours of sleep. In fact, I greatly prefer less sleep because that means longer days. The problem is if I don't have any reason to get up chances are I will roll back over after 5 or 6 for 2 more.

recently been feeling pretty tired and drained no matter the amount of sleep i get. i think living in boarding school with 3 other room mates is not such a good idea to catch up on the Z's. an early night ends up being midnight - 1ish, and up by 7:30

pretty bad sign considering i have finals starting tomorrow. plus ive managed to get myself a 37.6 degree temperature.

Giggsy machines don't sleep, Thatcher was just recharging the batteries for another day of job slashing and class bashing!

I am usless without 8 hours of sleep. I tend to dose off at my desk arounf 1:30pm (ish)and my boss doesn't like it!