almost 95% are J mates.

They tend to complain less, & don't speak english which helps my cause.

The Gaijin i know (bar my really close mates) have different interests so back home we wouldn't even hang out, whereas the J crew are all surfers/boarders and are they kind of guys that I would hang out with at home.

It gets a little lonely up here in Nagaoka City, Niigata, so do imaginary friends count ? My Japanese Language textbooks tell about the adventures of Mearii san and Takeshi san. We also have Robaato san, Suu san (she`s Korean), Yamashita sensee, and Ken san so I think it`s about an even split - so there you go.

I might go against the grain a bit here but esp out in the stix its hard to make good solid Japanese friends. Many reasons

• not so many young people cos theyre either at uni in the city or working in the city
  • they just want to be my English buddy
  • my idea of a good time (eg dancing all night) isnt what they are into
  • the chicks often want to hook up with my guy mates and the guys are just shy
  • most people my age live at home so dont invite me round much
  • those that dont live at home are married so doing the couple/baby thing
  • the people I work with are a bunch of boring sad sacks

I know this is harsh and mean but its the truth.

saying all this I do have some good j-mates but I find it much much easier to make soild gaijin mates.

ok, flame me

I agree with you zwelgen. The socializing thing either has to be a big deal or nothing. There's none of that casual phoning up to go out for a drink. I had a Japanese friend like that in Osaka, but he was quite unusual.

There's none of that casual phoning up to go out for a drink?

Beg to differ. I have 3 Japanese friends that I can do just that with, and often do.

In Nagano I only had a couple Japanese friends. Tokyo is a whooole different story. It is so much easier to meet people in this city and there are so many more things to do. Plus people are just more likely to strike up a conversation with you at a restaurant/izakaya or on a train.

Okay this rocks, I have a Japanese friend up here now, and then my co-worker is Japanese, and my boss is Canadian, and my other Co-worker just left, so now I have 33% more Japanese friends than gaijin friends. Killer.