love em, but hate it when i have a problem. right now my problem is not being able to charge my battery. very strange. not being able to use it for a few days has made me realize how much i need and want it!!

The poster above who wrote 'i dont like computers, but i like what you can do with them' hit the nail on the head. They are just a means to an end.

Apparently with the release of that new internet protocol (IPv6?) we are gonna see another (less drastic) computer revolution.

All the items in our houses will be linked and have little microcomputers in them, and be accessible remotely (via the internet).

So, I guess you can have your kettle, toaster, cooker, lights, VCR, PC, HIFI etc etc all linked up together and controllable via a remote control, or the internet if you are away from home.

Sounds cool - cant wait!

In the article I read, PCs were being compared to electric motors in houses 100 years ago. Houses were designed around thses motors, and people put their otehr applicances close ot the motor so they could do various task with it (wringing out clothes, hmm and whatever else they used motors for back in those days). The PC today is like this. Many people have their PC connected to their TV, speakers etc and it acts as this super-mulit-purpose beast that is a hifi, dvd player, as well as a multitude of other computer related things. but in future, computers will be so cheap and small that we will be able to put one in eveyr applicance, and not have to keep it all together. That was the gist anyway.

I think the idea that everything in the house is linked is a good thing. But i think it is all a long way off yet. Or least until it becomes the norm. I reckon there will be a fair few problems before they get it all sorted out properly.