• 2 weeks later...

One of the big problems here (well, most places) is that people just don't think they're at risk at all --- won't happen to me thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a documentaty on HIV in Japan over the weekend. It said that the number of people going in for testing is not many, but the % of people who are +ve out of those who do test has been increasing quite considerably.

And the occurance of other STDs is quite frightening.

Whether that is just sensationalism or not is another matter, but it certainly sounded pretty grim.

I find the amount of HIV education and scare tactics in the US overwhelming. I talk to people all the time that have the impression that if they sleep with someone they have something like a 20% chance of getting HIV. In fact, less than one-third of one percent of Americans have HIV/AIDS (somewhere around 900,000). To add to that if you have unprotected sex with an HIV positive person you have less than a 2% chance of contracting the disease.

I am by no means justifying stupid sexual behavior or saying it is not a good idea to wear condoms. I just think the real numbers are interesting.

At Nagano station they were handing out tissues with information about free, anonymous HIV testing at health centers, and encouraging people who think they might be infected to use it. (I bet the nurses there still ask you if you WANT THEM TO PHONE YOU WITH THE RESULTS. ;\) )