I am just wondering what other people think on this. Do you think that we have a responsibility to learn and speak Japanese while we are here in Japan? Is it ok to speak English, do you think it is ok not to learn Japanese?

I know a few Japanese who think that we should speak only Japanese and make the effort, and back home I know more than a few people who get angry at foreigners living there who make no effort to speak English.

Any thoughts?

here are my thoughts...

If you want to enrich your experience here, than you owe it to yourself to learn the language.

I also think it is a nice gesture to make the effort to learn about the language and culture of the country that has agreed to host you. It reflects well on you personally, and where you come from.

However, you shouldn't feel pressured to learn it for the sake of learning it, or any other unwritten obligations...no one forces you to do anything...

my .02

danz

As above, definitely.

Also, I dont think anyone should expect that the Japanese make an effort to communicate in English either.

for the same reasons as danz espouses, i think it is worthwhile learning the language.

i must admit that when i arrived and met people who had been here 5 years and couldnt speak japanese any better than i could after 3 months, i gave them the official zook evaluation of 'crap'.

but ive had just had my 2 year birthday in japan, and i havent really improved much on those first three months. that does not change my evaluation, it just means it has a better chance of including me. there is a survival level and its pretty minimal. i know an awful lot of people with abilities of a similar level to mine.

i ve got a bit of a lull in my responsibilities at the mome, so we'll see if we cant spice up the ol' language abils.

i will break thru to become conversational. i will, i say. i will... one day.

I quite enjoy learning Japanese. I do it on my own, in my own time and at my own pace. Then every time I go back to Japan I get a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment because my ability to communication is noticeably better than the previous time. It's a great feeling.

Oh, almost forgot to mention, the skiing is fun too!

I think if we are going to live here that we should at least make the effort to learn the local lingo.

I think its rather rude when people come to Australia for a LONG time and make NO effort to learn english, so we should do the same.

And don't you think that its abit hazukashi to go home after living here for a few years and not having a solid base of japanese? Would people back home be able to understand that?

also my kids gonna be bilingual and if he's anything like me its gonna be in my best interests to learn Japanese to the fullest coz if I don't I am sure to get some crap back in J go!

No necessity to learn, but if you want to make the most out of your life here complete with J friends and generally understanding things then it makes sense to put the effort in.

Talking of which, I should be putting a bit more effort in myself...!

I think it depends why you are here. If its just to make a quick buck and have a break then whatever. If you only plan to stay a few months or so then I dont know if Id worry too much about learning J. If I was settling in for the long haul and wanted to get more out of the country Id make more of the effort.