"Oriental-sounding" pop songs

Know what I mean? There's loads of pop songs out there with a sort of cheesy oriental chord sequence. Some of them I really like, but you don't tend to hear their names ever. I want to add some to my ballooning collection of pirated music.

Example: Turning Japanese by the Vapors. There are other more club beat (read: dixo) tracks around.

Anybody got any good ones they know of?

Good good, some nice ones in there.

Just got my mitts on Butterfly there - thanks zwelg-zwelg.

Already got China Girl - something of a fave.

Any more?

(Anybody else enjoy shamisen music? I think I might hire/rip-off the CDs of those two young shamisen lads...)

An old album by David Sylvian's band, Japan, called Tin Drum comes to mind.

And Vangelis' China, though that's definitely not cheesy or pop. And another pop song, 80s, called Sue Sue Sushi, damned if I can remember the name of band, but I know I would if I heard it.

Ryukyu Underground has some really cool traditional Okinawan music with a dance/drum n bass/ dj type beat. Its got some cool songs. Hanazono by Kyoto Jazz Massive doesnt really have too much of a Japanese flavor to it but I like it just because I love Hanazono 3 under the lift!! Epic run!

Aqueous Transmission by Incubus has what sounds to me like a Shamisen, but I think Danz set me straight about it actually being a Chinese instrument (or song at least).

DANZ - weren't you mentioning some good Japanese traditional music to check out...or was that someone else?

Quote:
Originally posted by BagOfCrisps:
Bowies China girl is partly responsible for my fixation on Oriental things.
Kitsch in it's purist form can be a powerful force for good, eh?

I like listening to this sort of thing while I work - it's like being on a drip of some mild happy drug. I like rap a lot, but it's distracting to work too (especially as a lot of the lyrics crack me up "check out my gravel pit").

I just remembered: Kid Koala does a very "Oriental-sounding" scratch up called "The Emperor's New Clothes" on an EP; he cuts up on the theme music from "The Last Emperor" soundtrack.

Quote:
almost anything by David Sylvian if you can stand it ;\) [/QB]
lol.gif I used to have one of his records but I gave it away. The ditz that I gave it to was right chuffed and declared it to be very rare (no surprise there.) I haven't missed it...