A question to non-Americans....

havent had any similar experiences with US..more japanese thinking aussies are english. confused.gif

for japanese people they associate mostly with US ideals, lifestyles etc and maybe arent exposed to as many other accents.

when i fisrt arrived i couldnt tell the difference between a japanese and brazilian person. \:o i just hadnt been exposed to it before.

Japanese and Brazilian?? Seriously?

Of course I understand that people may not be used to other people. Its just if it were me I would probably ask the question "Where are you from?" rather than "You're American, right?"

\:D

im australian..

looking back i think the same as u just said but i think it had to do with the culture shock, the no white people (lived in Shizuoka city to begin with) thing and being in total awe the japanese way of life. even though shizuoka has a high % of brazilians i think i had tunnel vission turned to max.

I like to wear a little American flag on my lapel, loudly bully everyone into giving me high fives, and shout "Make mine a steak and Bud" in the izakaya, so it's no surprise I get taken for an American.

(I also goose Japanese women and urinate on the street.)

"America jin desuka?" is a stock phrase for some people I think-older people particularly. It would only bother me if I had to answer "yes". Just kidding.

" you're American right?"

"Yeah right, are you Japanese?"

usually leave the folks as dumbfounded as they are when you compliment them @ how well they can use a knife and fork!

The above backfired on me once with a Yak guy, eneded up he was from korea!

Quote:
Originally posted by HotMagma:
Do Japanese ..... always automatically assume you are from the US? And does it get annoying?
YES, when the pricks give me sickly cream to put in my tea. When I ask for miruku, I get more cream!

I am not American, I do not put cream in my tea.
 Quote:
Originally posted by DumbStick:

SAD!

Does such an action not embarass you??
what are you talking about, dumbstick?

its canadian government policy that all canadians outside of canada sew flags to their backpacks.

Yes, the Canadian flag thing... frees them from the American label just to fall into the 'Canadian w/ flag' one.

I've Canadian friends more embarassed by Canadian flag bearers than being mistaken for their Southern cousins. (and then there's the tatoos... :rolleyes: )

sometimes i feel like i see japanese people who look very native american... esp with guys with super long, straight hair. ooh, that beats big hair anyday. anyways, maybe a lot of japanese assume gaijin are american since they are taught american english in the public schools... but the textbook i use now in junior high school features a canadian aet. perhaps in about 10years they'll all ask, are you from canada?