My muvva in law is an observant Buddhist (which doesn't mean much). At Obon, she pays a priest to come and mumble in front of the God box on which she arranges food for the duration of the festival.

In the evenings, she goes out into the garden to burn a kind of wood sold for the purpose in supermarkets. This wood is used for lighting the way to and from the Other World for the spirits of the dead, principally her dead mother.

Last time I was there at Obon, my niece asked her grandma lots of very specific questions about what she was doing, and when the literal-minded girl wasn't satisfied with the answers, indeed, started saying "But she's dead, so she isn't coming back. Where is she? Can you see her?", muvver in law got very annoyed and told her to shut up.

Then the kiddies got togged up in yukata and went down into town to torment goldfish and eat candy floss on my tab.

Ahhh.... I love it when kids, not constained by politeness and driven by a fierce curiosity, hit the nail right on the head and ask the religious questions that need to be asked. You can just still back and watch the oldies squirm and struggle for answers. Especially when they take the theological baton and run with it. Nice one!

From the mouths of babes...........

• 10 months later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
My muvva in law is an observant Buddhist (which doesn't mean much). At Obon, she pays a priest to come and mumble in front of the God box on which she arranges food for the duration of the festival.

Today, the priest came to our house to intone a sutra (not mumble!) in front of "Buddhist family altar"(not god box!). I chilled out to hear him in a singsong with bell, and cicadas.
My aunts always told me this second son priest is the most handsome and I was looking forward to seeing him. I realized that I expected too much. ;\)

I can respect the tradition, but when the hell are people supposed to take holidays and NOT go back to their home? Aren't holidays for getting away?

I know grown adults that say they have to go home because their parents insist. Don't they realize that are now adults and can make their own decisions??

I think realistically many people, to some degree, want to go home - hardly a case of being forced to. I sometimes feel I want to travel the world more with my holidays, but usually end up going back "home" for all sorts of reasons. I'm not forced to, but the limited time spent with the family - while we can - always seems worth it somehow.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Is a God box anything like an Xbox? If so, I might purchase one of those too.
  • 3 weeks later...