Greetings from Seattle,

Our family is considering a ski holidy in Japan next winter-around Christmas- New Years. We have relatives and friends in Japan but don't want to depend on them-- they spend way too much time and money on us and we don't want to wear out our welcome.

We have a 9 yo daughter who can handle most blue runs at Whistler, and Mom and Dad are in their 40's and can handle blue and some black-- no ice. We would like suggestions about areas we can reach by public transportation, not too costly and with a pleasent ambience. Of course our dream is to ski and follow up with a rotenburo soak at a nice at a Ryokan but we have also enjoyed Hostels. We would probably only be able to bring clothes, no skiis or boots so rental would be required. We would probably visit with our friends who live around Chiba and Gifu, sightsee and then skii 4-5 days.

Of course we will search the articles and archives on this great site but any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Maded

There are some town with many resort in small area good for choice. For example, Yuzawa in Niigata or Hakuba in Nagano or Shiga Kogen in Nagano or Myoko Kogen in Niigata. It might be good idea. I think everybody likes Nozawa.

I'm sure you'd have a good time in Hakuba. Quite a few resorts, tonnes of hotels (check out the resorts and places to stay page links at the top of this page), lots to choose from. We had a great time.

I have to say that if you have a limited Japanese speaking ability you should head north to Hokkaido mainly Niseko.

Also they allow you to ski some of the off-piste up there which is not usually permitted down south. So unless your willing to brake a few rules in the south Niseko might be the best.

Also if you like to ski the blacks at W/B then you probably do not want to be restricted to groomed/cut runs and probably want to get into the trees a bit which is pretty good at Niseko.

Just my 2-cents.

But having said that Gifu has amazing hills. If you go to the right places you can avoid the crowds of Takasu area and ski amazing snow in really good trees. PM me for good locations.

Quote:
I have to say that if you have a limited Japanese speaking ability you should head north to Hokkaido mainly Niseko.
And why on earth so? confused.gif

There is no strong reason to choose Niseko if you have limited Japanese speaking ability.
And going to Niseko will be like going to another country - more gaijin than Japanese. Do you want to make your way to Japan just to be plonked right in the middle of a place just so you can speak English?? Sounds like a rubbish idea to me, even though the snow up there is many people think the tops.

I would definitely avoid Niseko.

I'd choose somwehre like Nozawa for a nicer all-round experience.

Toque I would say that this family might not be into the off piste thing plus Im sure they dont want to loose 1.5 days cause of traveling.

From Chiba Id go to Yuzawa easy access by train Neaba or the other areas have tons to do.

From Gifu you can hit up Hakuba or Nozawa for big resorts. In Hakuba you will find Happo the best for trail selection on piste it has the only true high alpine skiing in the valley. Nozawa is a good choice too by far tons to do and pure japan. Nozawa has a great tree course at the top for people who are just getiing into that sort of thing. Spaces 3meters or more and only 25 degrees max.

Yah I know. But midway through my first response I re read the post and noticed they wanted to go to Gifu area and another area. So I wrote at the bottom that Gifu has very good resorts and to PM me if they wanted more info on them.

And then everybody jumped down my throat ;\)