Police just stopped me...

...for not stopping at a Stop sign on a country road junction. I did look L and R, and visibility is really good - at least a few hundred meters. But a km further on and the cops on my tail.

The damage? 7000 yen.

\:\( \:o mad.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's when you say to them 'nijugo paasento, naruhodo' and when they ask WTF you're talking about, you respond with a sigh that it's not surprising that in recent polls, only 25% of Japanese still have confidence in the police.

it's oh so random isn't it? getting stopped by the cops. I had a mate who got stopped for absolutely nothing and had to go in to the cop shop the next day with his employer to say he was, in fact, not a naughty gaijin. many hours wasted and everything about him investigated. I, on the other had, went through one of those flashing red traffic lights. The old man took my name and address and then let me go when he could just as well have fined me. wakaranai.gif

Quote:
only 25% of Japanese still have confidence in the police.
- would have thought it was lower than that :rolleyes:

My J lady just told me, right, that when I get my Japanese licence renewed in 3 years time I AM GOING TO HAVE TO SIT THROUGH A 2 HOUR LECTURE BEFORE THEY GIVE IT TO ME because of this. mad.gif mad.gif

IS THAT TRUE OR WHAT?? mad.gif

OOOOh yes, it's true. had to do it twice now, for parking violations.

Don't worry, no-one minds if you sleep (I think it's expected) and it doesn't last two hours.

Ironically, there's nothing in the lecture regarding my parking violations, so i'm none the wiser... wakaranai.gif

No kidding at all.

My missus just went for her first license renewal and she was there for 2 hours with the other newbies and the offenders. It seems like they spend 2 hours threatening you (I got all the threats second hand). I heard in detail all the fines for 'speeding' and the jail time and fines for drinking and killing people. She said there were several people there who looked like repeat offenders and they had come prepared with books to deal with the boredom.

It only used to be 30 minutes for 1st timers, but now it's 2 hours. 30 minutes was too damn long. "Put your lights on at dusk, and use your brakes to slow down." Doh.

Thats just ridiculous. I'm angry now. mad.gif mad.gif

You know, I admit I didn't stop completely but I pretty much nearly damn well did. It was definitely a "very slow rolling stop". Can't believe I have to go through all this crap coz of it.

And whats with the "get in the police car" crap as well? I was in no way confrontational - quite the opposite - but they almost forced me into the police car and wouldn't continue talking about it until I was in the back of the car and the door closed. mad.gif Just been told thats "the norm" as well mad.gif

Even funnier, the first one I went to, I tried very hard to get out of. I told the officer I spoke not a word of Japanese (which was true, and she new it). She suggested that I could go to a special session in the sahalin islands which would have an interpreter, at which point (after much teeth sucking) we both decided it was better for me to just take a nap at the place five minutes from my office.

I have to admit, however, that I'm now trying very hard not to park on the street anywhere whatsoever... I shall be rather distraught if I don't get me gold this time! (and that'll be 5,000 off me insurance, too.)

Fukdane, Mate I think you have been pretty unlucky with the cops mate! I bet you pulled out your J licence first? Don't get yourself too bent, it's only 7,000 easy come easy go. And you said that you didn't stop 100%. Sounds like the cops are tougher in the stix?

I can't detail every run in but here are some of the best. note for legal reasons none of these things happened to "ME"

1. Caught dinkying a chick home from a club, cops pull us over & we decide to make a run on a 100 year old scooter!) they were pissed. got in the car, chick spread her legs a little for a good view and we were out!

2. 3 times speeding camera. let off everytime..(100k+ a pop)

3. breatho stopped us, we were pissed as, she asked me to breath on her, we told her that we had smelly garlic breath, she laughed & off we went!

4. realised there was a stop sign, but too late to stop! stopped 40% thru. Cops pulled us over, did the gaijin thing no japaneso! asked the wife (japanese) if she understood. she said NO! I thought we were F$%ked! they said be careful..The same place 3 years ago wife was done there for same thing and got fined.. she think gaijin frikkin lucky mukatsuku!

keepin the wood handy!

Heck, I didn't even know there were police in this country! I've maybe seen one or two cops on the roads in my two years here. It's funny to hear what it is like elsewhere. Up here in the boonies, speed limit signs are just suggestions for the most part since nobody follows them. Parking tickets? The Japanese will pull over in the middle of the road to look at a map, take a phone call, or even to let their kid out for a piss on the side of the road (I've seen it). On the tighter city roads, people just put their hazard lights on, park in the road and run into a store or restaraunt to conduct their business. Nevermind there is a perfectly good lot or driveway to park in! It used to make me mad, but now that I'm used to it, I just kind of chuckle at the whole driving situation up here \:\)

> speed limit signs are just suggestions

Very thoughtful of them that, innit? I usually find them to be off by about 20 kph though. If your wheels don't slide out on the curves, you're within the limit...

My experience in Nagano and Ehime has been very similar to Plucky's.

I don't like to dawdle when I'm headed somewhere, and while I do tend to slow to down to only 20 over the limit for speed cameras, they haven't seen fit to record me yet.

And how a cop that isn't there can see you run a stop sign I don't know.

But yes, I shall have to be more vigilant in future.

You will defintely enjoy the 2 hour lecture as I did.

You are doing your thing for the community and ensuring that retired cops can still receive some cash for their wonderful jobs done on active duty.

This lecture teaches you to be a moral citizen. One who is kind and loving to the environment and most of all law abiding.

You will learn the new features of the law, you will learn how to stop properly by watching many videos.

You will come out with a better view of the Japanese Liscence system and a whole new look on life.

Thank you for your kindness Japan Police. For you I am grateful.

Quote:
And how a cop that isn't there can see you run a stop sign I don't know.
It turns out that it is a popular place for the police to earn a quick buck, coz almost no-one actually brings their car to a complete stop (because with wide open visibility there really is no need, apart from abiding by the law).

Seems the police are well hidden about 500 meters down the road and from my approach, and extremely difficult to notice.

That explains why it was about 1km+ further down the road that they stopped me with their flashing lights and siren. Basically they look from a distance, choose their offender and chase them up the road.

mad.gif

The pigs in England pull that kind of stunt to. But my friend's father contested a speeding ticket in court rather than just forking over the money tamely, and because it was foggy at the time and the fuzz were rather far away to be making visual judgements, he won.

But that's in England...