Anyone seen the new Cruise movie yet? I'm really looking forward to it, looks good. Whether it actually is or not is another matter.... do tell if you've seen it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I agree with you there on that one. I really like Cruise as an actor. He may not be THE MOST versatile actor out there, but he always seems to put a lot of effort into his projects and has put in some really good performances.

I don't mind the Cruiser, but most of his parts do seem to be very much "Tom Cruise". It was interesting to see him put on a mast and disfigured in that Vanilla Sky flick. (Did anyone understand that movie? :p )

yea... last samurai previews look great, but theres one thing im afraid might steamroll any credibility it might have. It seemed like all the main japanese characters were speaking english in the preview. I HATE when hollywood dumbs down movies for lowest-common-denominator american audiences (e.g. no subtitles, and everyone speaks english). ("too much readin' in this movie! If I wanted to read, Id go to the library!")

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyski:
The one performance I really enjoyed was Cruise in "Magnolia". Well-played, and he didn't have to play a character everybody liked. An chauvinistic bastard with a heart.
agreed. Cruise was great in that movie.
 Quote:
Originally posted by MistaSparkle*:
It seemed like all the main japanese characters were speaking english in the preview. I HATE when hollywood dumbs down movies for lowest-common-denominator american audiences (e.g. no subtitles, and everyone speaks english). ("too much readin' in this movie! If I wanted to read, Id go to the library!")
Yes maybe. But for us English speaking people in Japan it certainly helps with the movie being in English. Unlike Kill Bill which was pretty much half in Japanese.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Yes maybe. But for us English speaking people in Japan it certainly helps with the movie being in English. Unlike Kill Bill which was pretty much half in Japanese.
I see your point, but I gotta disagree (The american version of Kill Bill has subtitles...) Shogun the miniseries (based on the book), was aired on primetime american tv back in the late 70s with a good portion of the dialog being Japanese without subtitles! Point being that it's possible to smartly handle foreign languages in films for an english-speaking audience other than "make em all speak english so people dont gotta read n' stuff".

Yeah but Mr*, Shogun gets on your nerves after a while with that "Er, what did he just say?" line that the main character says all the time. Realistic certainly, but a bit of a bore.

Along with a some heavy bastardization, I've always liked fake accents to indicate foreign language is being spoken. "Eet iz strenge zat you understand zem even zo zey speaking French."

I was really impressed with the way they handled the Japanese in Shogun. I am sure glad I saw the American version of Kill Bill. There are some pretty important dialog parts you would miss if you didn't understand Japanese well.

...well important as it can get for that movie.

I'm currently reading "Samurai William - The Englishman Who Opened Japan" by Giles Milton. It's an easy-reading history of Will Adams and other European visitors to Japan. Highly entertaining it is too. It turns out that Japanese girls have always been 'frolicke'.

yep it's true, sparks,

and I'll have you know, samurai living in ancient New Zealand spoke the best English of them all, which probably explains why everyone in "The Last Samurai" speaks so well.