Would you Hanko here please?

What do you think about the hanko system in Japan?? Do you hanko? Good thing/bad thing?

I had one made once but rarely used it. Didn't like it. After all, you don't have to carry your signiture. I personally think it's one of those Japanese things that isn't up to speed on technology but will be around for a while.

The "signature chop" was also fairly common in Hong Kong in my younger days, but hardly anyone uses it now. Maybe only the grandaddies and grannies. But the government never required registration for it to be legally accepted. I have one too, just for kicks, but never use it.

i've got a couple of hankos- one in kanji that sounds like my last name in j that i use for my bank and another one in romaji that is registered-i used that one for my car title. seems strange to me bc its so much easier to buy someone else's hanko than to do a good forgery.

The hanko you can buy everywhere called "san-mon-ban" and it's not for the official documents. Some people use really cool handmade hanko for official documents.

I found hanko system very interesting. I have my companies hanko in my desk and after the boss check the documents, I do hanko. There are some rules and I wasn't sure where to hanko at the beginning.

I've got a registered hanko - last name in katakana. Wife uses it. I'm quite sure we've got 2. One for everyday hanko's and the special one for important documents. As far as I can tell, the 'special' one is just a bigger font, made of jade and has a fancy little bag it lives in.

Anyway, I don't like or dislike the hanko system. I think it's a bit silly. If the takubin man comes and I answer the door, he asks me to sign. If my wife answers he asks for the hanko. Everybody's happy. \:\)

"san-mon-ban" = ready-made and copiable = not for official use

"jitsu-in" = handmade and uncopiable = for official use

I don't have my jitsu-in yet.

I can't explain very well...