The last few weeks on cold days I've noticed that my feet/toes have been like ice. Put on socks? not much difference. Rest of body? Warm, no problems. But my toes?..... freeeeezing. I never noticed this before, its freaking me out.

Are my feet sick??

Maybe - depends on how old you are...could be a thing called gout (spelling?). Don't know much about it other than the doc told me I don't have it, and that it affects circulation in the feet - something about some kind of crystals forming...

I know it's kind of stating the obvious, but have you tried undoing your boots while you're on the lifts? Keeps the blood circulating for that little bit longer, and will help you last out the day without cringing in pain... Toe wiggling works wonders.... \:\)

Actually, snowhaus, I think fukdane is refering to general days and not particularly to snow-outing days.

I also used to have this problem. I even wore fleece socks at one time. Then I discovered thermal underwear. Apparently, that was just my body's nature defence for the cold, withdrawing the warmth from the extremities. However, once the body is adequately warm, and especially if there is excess heat, the blood quickly sends warm blood to the extremities.

I get this sometimes in my fingers. I asked the doc about it once and he said it is a circulatory thing and there wasn't much I could do about it. It doesn't happen all of the time, but sometimes I will be outside working or just walking around and my fingers will become numb and stiff in the cold - even with gloves on. To alleviate this, I shove my hands down in my crotch to warm them up. Might be hard to do this with your feet though \:\)

Ray - has nothing to do with gout at all. Trust me. I know from first hand experience. If you have gout, you know it without a doubt. Hey, I made a rhyme!

Another disturbing comment:

Apparrently, according to a doctor I know, these numbing cold in the extremities only makes things worse the next time (ie, the numb faster). This is why frostbite sucks so much, because you can never really fully recover... confused.gif " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

Me, too. My feet are very cold. I can't sleep without putting on socks in my bed. I talked about this with my nurse friend. We concluded that I have to train blood vessel of my feet. I don't know how. But I'm thinking to buy a foot massager. It will do good for your circulation.

Very not fun. I saw a docu on Discovery once and it looked horrific.

My feet often feel colder than the rest of me in winter. I asked the doctor once and he took a look and told me nothing to worry about. The big plus is - no sweating ;\)

Hi cold-feet-and-hands-people

Do you smoke?

Smoking makes the blood vessels contract, and you get cold hands and feet!

there are two things you can do

1. stop smoking

2. drink alcohol. Alcohol wil not make you warmer, but it will expand the vessels, beware though, a very bad advice against hypothermia

ATB

Thunder

Hi! don't drink every night, alcohol is not a permanent solution to your problem!

Try some light workout, small jumps, move your feet around in circles.

Buy some warm slippers...what do i know??

hope it helps \:\)

ATB

Thunder

• 1 month later...