OK heres the situation. A Japanese friend just gave birth to a baby boy. Problem is - it is PIG UGLY. You know, even more ugly than 99% of human babies. I'm not a fan of babies at any time, but this is a monstrosity.

But what do I say in Japanese? Of couse I dont want to say congrats on birthing a monster, but what kind of omedeto can I use?

\:\)

Look at it closely and say

"Mmmmm, mezurashii desu ne...."

When they say "Eeh, nan desu ka?!"

you say "Ah, nan demo nai, nan demo nai..."

If you say it just right, they'll think you think they have a really special baby. If you say it wrong (and chances are you will), you may not ever have to look at the baby again.

It's a win-win thing really.

• 1 year later...

I thought I remembered this thread.

A colleagues wife has just recently had a baby boy and he is truly horiffic looking. And everyone knows. apart from the parents of course. Not sure what to say when he comes to me with the photos later today...... anyone? Quick!! lol.gif

You can say with a twinkle "He looks like he'd enjoy a nice game of 'this little piggy went to market!'". That way you can safely give vent to whatever porcine thoughts you might be harbouring.

But it's OK to be rude about people's babies. I showed my colleague a photo of my boy and said "He looks really cute to me", stressing the latter part. And she replied with obvious relief, "Now I can be honest. I think he looks just awful." There's no point in inflicting your baby on other people if you won't allow them to be frank in their response.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
I think mixed babies are so cute. Half Japanese half American, half black half white for example. Ugly babyies though? Guess you should blame the parents :p
Yeah, some of the hottest chicks I have met have been 50/50's ( or gado gado's as we used to say in Indo)
Thing is people (J crew) instantly yhink that all halfies will be cute. Luckily my 2 boys are stunners. when they grow up there's gonna be a trail of havoc behind them with daddy eggin them on! clap.gif