I think we spoke about this last year as well a bit, but hey that was so 03. \:D

Good things to take home as presents. Things that people back home have thought were really cool. Any good ideas, apart from obvious ones.

I took home those cans of sake where you can push the button on the bottom of the can and within a few minutes becomes very hot. My friends loved them. Hire zake...I think it was called.

Paying to fly yourself back there ought to be a big enough gift, but otherwise Japanese fridge magnets that you get at the airport are good.

Last time I took back carefully selected and packaged sake, and I bet it's still in everybody's sideboards now, with the level half-way down the neck of the bottle. Won't be doing that again. Those little dried fish/toenails with almonds seem to go down well and don't get crushed to a powder like senbe.

sumo beer mats for the lads, ninja keyrings for the kids, and silk scarfs w/geisha print for the ladies. Simple, cheap, available at the airport (five minutes as opposed to a day in Kyoto) and everyone was happy.

In the past I always went out of my way to get fantastic gifts, but I suspect they weren't received with a true appreciation of there value and the effort that went into finding them. The latest, golden week round of cheap omiage seems to of confirmed that... lol.gif

O-ko. Japanese insence. I always bring O-ko when I visit my friends in other country. I want to get very nice Japanese insence burner for myself sometime. \:\)

I took a selection of Japanese stick mags for my mate. They were lamo ones from the airport news stand but he still had a laugh .... "dont they know what a razor is?!". This was a last minute thought at the airport whilst killing time. Normally I do not think to buy presents and the like.

Has anyone seen those stretching machines that they advertise in those mags? It is alike a torture rack that stretches the body and makes you taller. wakaranai.gif

I know the feeling about expensive presents not being appreciated. I did that when I was first here, spend a mini fortune on beautiful presents and disappointed with the reactions. Might as well have been a 10th of the value of prezzies. Not that I was particularly looking for a "oooohh what expensive present" kind of reaction, sure you know what I mean.

My dad likes senbe kakinotane and that kind of stuff with some beer and me mum like umeshu. clap.gif

Senko hanabi are those little fireworks you squat down on the ground and light. A blob of magma forms on the end and chucks out sparks. It's very wabi sabi, especially if you're facing a pretty gurl squatting down in a mini skirt saying "Ah jozu jozu". (I once wrote a song about senko hanabi, but my band was too embarrassed even to play it once.)

Another nice cheapo player is "furin" wind chimes. Those little glass ones shaped like fish or piglets. My local 100-yen shop has a great selection, and they even come wrapped in a protective box cushioned with paper...this is one of the few non-edible gifts where a year later I still saw it in use hanging outside the kitchen window or on the back step.

Another good one is a six-pack of those tiny cans of Asahi beer...they're about the size of 2-3 shot glasses. Not only does the recipient find them a cute conversation piece, but they are also perfect for when somebody demands that you shotgun a can of beer for losing a bet or a game of chance...a routine occurrence in Walled Lake, MI.

\:D

t-shirts with `trukked` up english messages on `em that no one can understand.

my nephew had his 21st. bday party tha otha week and i put together a few goodies for `im. tha best was a pack of `POOH BISCUTS`! gotta luv that. lol.gif