The "fashionable" place for Japanese to go..?

So where are the "cool" destinations for Japanese to go to? The US?? UK?? Australia? Mainland Europe? Somewhere in Asia?

I get the very probably misguided impression that the UK attracts older people or young married couples and not the "dude crowd". Where do they go?

Lots of Japanese people go to Hawaii but I wouldn't call them the cool ones. It's package holiday heaven for the vast majority.

I don't know what you mean by "dude", but know a lot of Japanese clubber-types go to London, mainly for fashion and music. All of the club kids I used to hang out with either went or wanted to go. If you hang out around Central St. Martins the fashion and design school, Camden Market, the clubs that focus on music and not copping off, specialized record shops selling mainly vinyl, the aromatherapy shop in Neals Yard, etc. you should come across a fair few.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
I have spotted more than a few Japanese walking the streets of honolulu..
Oahu, Hawaii has to be either the first or second pick for the Japanese to travel. Honolulu actually caters to the Japanese crowd. Ever been to a hotel there? They all have one or two channels on the TV in Japanese telling them where to shop, what to do and how to act. Quite funny actually.

I have many memories of Japanese tour busses stopping on the North Shore at various beaches. The people get out, snap some pictures, get back in the bus and then leave for their next picture spot. Honolulu was just wrong though. I felt like I was the foreigner at times. \:\)

Another huge spot is Las Vegas. The crowd there around New Years was 1/3 American, 1/3 Indian and 1/3 Japanese. I scared the crap out of some Japanese by speaking a little bit of their language to them. They weren't expecting that in LV.

The cameras were always in full effect too. At least that stereotype is still true. I do it here in Japan also, just not so blatantly.

Anyone ever notice how rude the Japanese are abroad while in groups? While in Vegas this past Christmas, I noticed a huge difference between how the Japanese and the Indians acted. The Indians were quite cordial while the Japanese tour groups were very aggressive and down-right pissy. It's not like there were any 'NO JAPANESE' signs hanging on the doors of bars in Vegas (or Hawaii for that matter). \:\) Yeah, so I'm still bitter about that...

To answer your question directly, most go to US destinations.

or wherevere they can get a nice tan and a good shag.

I think it's funny in this day & age where you see jpsnese tourists taking pics of nice spots with their god damn mobiles! Don't digi cams take better pics ( with 3-4 million more pixels????)

Quote:
Originally posted by grungy-gonads:
Isn't there an ancient saying that Hawaii is to Japanese as Niseko is to Aussies? or something like that.
LOL! \:D

I have no personal experience at either though....... \:\)

Most fo the Japanese people Ive met have been to Hawaii. I think there cant be much doubt that its the most popular tourist destination for Japanese. As for studying/homestay?? I guess continental USA or Australia. Recently though NZ has become more popular though. go to NZ!!!! clap.gif

S Korea is dead easy to get to - and with the Korea durama boom right now tons of people going over there apparently.

I'm thinking of hopping over there sometime for a look (although not too fussed about the drama location tours :p )

I bet a lot of the 'fashionable' Japanese are NOT going to China right now. I mean, fvck, the Chinese boo the Japanese national anthem......What will they do next, trash a diplomatic car ????

Personally, I'm gong to China in a couple of weeks. Take me to Xian cool.gif and show me Guilin......also looking forward to good Peiking Duck....